How to tell people about your dreams without boring them to death

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/09/how-to-tell-people-about-your.html

1 Like

Other ways to tell people about your dreams without boring them (sorry, nobody’s dropped dead immediately upon me sharing a dream):

Most importantly, the other person has to be in the dream with you.

it helps if someone mutually reviled, despised appears as an abject figure of pity or begging for forgiveness. Or cartoon characters appearing!

Ask the other person to interpret the dream if it’s recurring.

Show some bizarreness. Example: My friend and her then-partner appeared in my dream when we both lived on opposite sides of the continent. Her then-partner suggested “why, we’ll walk!” as a way of the three of us travelling 5000 km. Even my brain shut down the filmstrip for that and restarted when we were 4400 km of the way to our destination.

5 Likes

Thanks, @frauenfelder, now I know why I usually can’t remember my dreams. They’re boring! LOL

Or just don’t tell other people your dreams if the story is going to last more than one minute. Especially if you were really pissed off at me for something I did in your dream.

Or just don’t tell other people your dreams… Please!

3 Likes

Mitch: You know, um, something strange happened to me this morning…

Chris Knight: Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?

Mitch: No…

Chris Knight: Why am I the only one who has that dream?

7 Likes

I’ve never not been interested in other people’s dreams if they are unusual in some way. I like to see what’s common in dreams and what’s not.

If it’s “I dreamed I went shopping last night, and the may was on the bottom shelf instead of the middle!”, well, maybe not share that one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.