How to use a SodaStream to keep leafy greens fresher for longer

Originally published at: How to use a SodaStream to keep leafy greens fresher for longer | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I just stand mine in water in the fridge.

2 Likes

pure nitrogen is good for this, too

1 Like

My lettuce keeper which holds the leaves elevated over a water reservoir does just fine.

According to Cook’s Illustrated, greens in a bag filled with SodaStream CO2 lasted 9 days compared to the control that significantly wilted within 5 days.

Am I the only one whose mind jumped to Liz Truss?

9 Likes

Sure, you could use your mouth and exhale into the bag instead, but that’s kinda gross (I guess) if other people will be eating the veggies.

Shh, nobody tell him what manure is!

2 Likes

How to use a SodaStream factory to entrench the illegal occupation of Palestinian land:

7 Likes

I knew there was a reason I never invested in a soda thingie even though I drink Aldi fizzy water by the case!

3 Likes

I didn’t know this, but have one. Which is suddenly lame.
On the upside, I found it at a thrift store with a canister for under 5$. Still I guess they’re getting my Co2 gas money.

The problem I see. Where’s the alternative? Why isn’t there a competitor to SodaStream? As it is I think I’ve found a local guy that can just refill the bottle from a larger tank, for half the price - so I might be able to decouple my money from them entirely.

Anyway, good to know this, thanks.

3 Likes

There is.

8 Likes

I put it off, and put it off for so long, for the same reason. But, at the beginning of the pandemic I purchased one because getting to the store for water became more than a matter of gas and time.

In order to keep my conscience clear, we bought an adapter off ebay and a restaurant grade CO2 tank. I refill my own gas bottles. It’s also tremendously cheaper this way, because the local airgas or whatever refills that big tank for about $20.

The moral calculus is complicated, no lie. I don’t feel great about giving them money, but I feel better about it only having been the up front cost, not every 6 weeks.

3 Likes

Not all heroes wear capes. Thanks.

4 Likes

I got my SodaStream for free from a neighbor, then got an adapter hose and a standard CO2 canister from the brew supply shop. The canister itself was about $90 with 5 lbs of CO2, and each refill is maybe $20. By the time I’d refilled the canister once it had paid for itself, in comparison to the SodaStream lock-in racket.

5 Likes

Do this:

But fill with water instead of beer. Add flavor packets/bottles to taste.

1 Like
1 Like

I did something similar. But I got the bigger 20lb tank and a screw-on adapter from Amazon that allows you to refill the mini-tank. Tank 1 cut the refill price in half. I’m on tank 3 or 4 now. The best tip is to go to a true gas shop for exchanges. Most brew shops will exchange your CO2 tank but they mostly stock the kind that lets CO2 gas out of the valve off the top. What you want is the CO2 tank with a siphon or dip tube. It pulls the liquid CO2 off the bottom (without inverting the tank, which is the hack if you have brewery/keg style).

2 Likes

Yeah, I considered the refill method and was faced with either tracking down a dip-tube tank or filling the canisters with the main tank inverted, which didn’t fill me with confidence. The adapter works well for me (though I do need the extra shelf space for the canister) since the SodaStream itself works off the vapor pressure in the canister head space, so the regular brew-shop cylinder works just fine in my configuration.

I did the flip tank for all of tank 1 and it was sucky, heavy, and a bit sketchy. Luckily, the gas shop guy was a soda-streamer too and turned me on to the dip-tubes. My soda stream seems to move around a lot so I like not being tethered to the counter.

1 Like

Hmm… maybe not as bad, but it kinda reminds me of: Juicero is still the greatest example of Silicon Valley stupidity - CNET

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.