How to write a Chainsmokers song

I like Vampire Weekend :slight_smile: granted i don’t listen to them much or listened to an album but the few songs of theirs that pop up on my Pandora i’ve always enjoyed.

These chainsmokers or whomever they are i’ve never heard of though. Listened to one song just now on Youtube out of curiosity and it seems very bland and boring.

1 Like

Such as the 12-year-old son of the bass player from Metallica, who’s now the touring bassist for Korn.

He might be a prodigy, for all I know, but I somehow think that his connections miiiiight have helped a wee little bit.

9 Likes

And thus its suitability for their fans, whom they obviously understand all too well.

4 Likes

Aw shit. Allan Holdsworth died yesterday. His shit was much better than this crap.

4 Likes

When I see them pop up on XM, I change the channel as fast as I can.

Back in my day, we had 4 chords and we were grateful for those!

That doesn’t mean anything! They pulled themselves up by their bootstraps with no help! Just like 45 did!

Of course those connections had nothing to do with that. See above

4 Likes

To be fair, a lot of dance music isn’t exactly musically complex. Hell I wrote my own techno song with Fruity Loops (which I am sooo mad i lost the source file too some how, and all I have is an MP3 first draft that has a couple parts where the beats don’t line up.)

And pop music is notorious for being vapid in its content.

6 Likes

One twenty minute keyboard solo later, you felt better about the world…

1 Like

I don’t think that pop music has to be boring or poorly written though. These guys are just boring as hell, if you ask me.

9 Likes

I agree.
Consider the difference between Britney’s “Opps” and the Travis cover of the same:

Sometimes it’s the delivery as much as the content.

5 Likes

They changed the name. It’s FL Studio now. It’s a great tool to get started on if you wanna start making music in a DAW.

You’re right. Lady Gaga I think makes a good pop song. I am a sucker for a good pop song. I am a sucker for an annoyingly good pop song.

I can’t remember a Chainsmoker song that I actually really liked.

Daw?

It took up waaaayyy too much space. I need a new computer or at least more hard drive to play with it again.

3 Likes

Digital Audio Workstation.

And FL Studio’s only a few gigs. It’s no bigger than a AAA game. It’s all the samples that make it big. And you don’t really need a fast computer, just a half-way decent audio chip. These days even onboard audio is good enough if you setup the ASIO plugin to bypass windows audio.

1 Like

Yeah it was all the other crap I downloaded - emulation of different synths and such.

I DO have an idea of a Star Wars song I have had for the last 10 years. I should some day load it up and at least get it out there.

Prog Rock: where 23:17 can either be the track length or the time signature

12 Likes

Obligatory Richard Thompson:

3 Likes

Ouch.

I like a 10 minute song with just 1 chord, but one that throws in a lot of sustained 4ths and added upper register 2nds, and builds to a single power chord with a lot of heavy distortion.

…oh wait, that was me this weekend after the mescaline kicked in.

4 Likes

Sounds like the most recent incarnation of the Swans… I’m not sure if it’s one chord stuff, but it’s pretty sustained soundscaping and songs that go on for about 10 minutes or so.

2 Likes

Yep. Jazz music.

Can’t tell if it’s really deep, or if you have to be high to listen to it.

Probably some combination of the two.

3 Likes

Well Jazz is a pretty wide range as a genre though. You’re more than likely talking about the avant guarde or free jazz styles, which is a bunch of weirdness.Other genres have weirdness like it though, i recall listening to a bunch of early Mars Volta when i was in my early 20’s which is… really strange experimental rock. I don’t even do drugs so i can’t explain myself.

2 Likes

I was talking about the modal stuff that Miles Davis and John Coltrane did. But really, all jazz fits that category, except maybe the commercialized stuff, and symphonic jazz with the very obvious exception of Third Stream.

I would much rather prefer to listen to the drugged-out stuff.

1 Like