What even is Hyperpop

Originally published at: What even is Hyperpop | Boing Boing

1 Like

Thankfully, PBS, the bastion of educational television, created the video linked above to help me unravel the concept.

Okay, so did you actually watch the video that you’re recommending? If you did, maybe you could share some of what your unraveling revealed about what hyperpop is?

8 Likes

That was certainly interesting, but as a person who has avoided pop of any kind since before high school, I’ll never be part of the zeitgeist. Always happy to discover new artists I DO love, though, like the recent Linda-Lindas, and newer alternative artists. Or this (bit older, but still a banging song) gem, which is not in my normal wheelhouse but slaps.

8 Likes

The next thing after Hyperloop?

5 Likes

The most important thing to know about Hyperpop is that it is what Rebecca Black does now

3 Likes

conveniently it is Friday…

5 Likes

Thanks for the warning.

:+1:

9 Likes

As a practicing music geek of many moons, I’d say that hyperpop is a so-called “microgenre,” like hypnogogic pop (very different) or egg punk. Hyperpop may get enough of an audience to gain more durability. Don’t get me wrong, it exists but I think PBS is giving it more legs than it has at the moment.

5 Likes
3 Likes

1990: LL Cool J invents hyperpop

2 Likes

Pop Tv Reaction GIF by Schitt's Creek

googles

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hardcore/comments/rzjc1s/egg_punk/

Told You Bloop GIF by The Roku Channel

10 Likes

23 Likes

Idk GIF

Um…

Fiddler On The Roof Broadway GIF by GREAT PERFORMANCES | PBS
???

9 Likes

Punks…eggheads…

Saaaaay, I think @anon52120741 has you sussed! :laughing:

6 Likes

Goo goo goo joob, Oi!

3 Likes

Ohh it reminds me of the extra lush and manic electronica I used to be really into in the aughts. I miss that actually.

I should start another station like that for working out.

3 Likes

Hyper Loop. Hyper Pop. Hyper Explosive Decompression.

2 Likes

Hype is the new hip?

3 Likes

Don’t, don’t, don’t, don’t-don’t, don’t believe the hip!

4 Likes

oh jeez, I sure hope it’s just standard pop.
I can’t wait until this shit is the oldies station playing at the grocery store

1 Like