How Trump's tariff wall will punish small American businesses, kill US jobs, and benefit giant mulitnationals

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/18/last-screw.html

5 Likes

So as intended then?

8 Likes

That was always the underlying point, of course. That’s why GOP officials, including those in the establishment who might be expected to support free trade, are either silent or cheering it on. If brain-dead protectionism also helps ensure that the Know-Nothings will continue to support the regime, so much the better for them.

8 Likes

See, more “Amazing” things 45 has done. Amazing price increases! Amazing incentive to kill US businesses!!

4 Likes

… Amazing if we make it through this!

5 Likes

I’m not sure how much really is deliberate, though. Trump appears to be beholden to China for some of his business ventures. But Trump is also a total idiot with a child’s understanding of the economy (I won’t say how old that child is). I’m never sure how much is just his attempt to deal with trade issues that he doesn’t understand (e.g. China stealing intellectual property of companies working there) by switching to an issue he thinks he does understand (trade imbalance), even though he’s incapable of dealing with that issue as well (because again: know-nothing idiot). A lot of the Republicans are upset, but like the stock market, they don’t seem to be taking it seriously yet. Other Republicans (e.g. Tea Party morons) are, frankly, no better educated on economic issues than Trump is, and don’t understand what’s happening.
There’s all sorts of cynical, evil shit going on with the Republican party right now, but I hate to ascribe to a conspiracy what can be explained by rank stupidity.

2 Likes

For Dolt-45 it’s just a way of riling up the morons in the base. Ultimately, though, the headline is what poorly executed protectionism always results in. The GOP establishment may prefer free trade, but they can live with this as long as it benefits large incumbent corporations and tightens up the labour market in favour of employers.

2 Likes

Over the short term? Likely yes. Longer term is not yet clear.

So what exactly are the “free traders” advocating then? That we continue as before?

Well, take that idea around and test it then. Identify those who think non-reciprocal trade is a good idea. The idea that other countries can sell here - but not buy the exact value from us.

Think you could sell our trade imbalance to China if it was reversed?

My my.

What kinds of time frames do you consider short-term and long-term? I ask because Il Douche’s supporters are not exactly known for taking the long view (or, if they do, they base it in the fantasies of temporarily embarrassed millionaires).

Depends on the free-trader. For the establishments in both duopoly parties, yes, with some calling for small reforms. For the progressive Our Revolution/Sanders wing of the Dems, better treaties that reduce the abilities of large corporations to bypass the sovereignty of the signatory nation-states, require more protections for workers, and give mobility of labour equal billing with mobility of goods/services and capital.

All show more flexibility and nuanced thinking than the black-and-white zero-sum thinking present on the right-wing populist end of the political spectrum.

The idea that trade balance sheets between two countries can come even close to par is nonsensical. If there’s an extreme deficit (e.g. the one between the U.S. and China) a badly negotiated deal is only part of the problem. The Chinese situation is just as much the result of conservatives spending decades promoting and participating in the offshoring of manufacturing jobs (for example these) in the context of race-to-the-bottom neoliberalism.

Brain-dead protectionism (with exceptions for cronies of the regime) that alienates long-term trading partners is not the answer. Here are some things the grownup countries are doing while these slipshod tariffs and isolationist walls are being put in place in the U.S.:

2 Likes

No one has ever claimed that Trump knows what he is doing…

2 Likes

To Trump’s credit, the only industry left in America just might be coal.

3 Likes

All part of the larger conservative plan to return America to the glory days of the 1890s. You know, when it was “great.”

Silver lining: steampunk tech becomes a reality here and in post-Brexit Tory England [sic].

2 Likes

Trump claims he does. Natch’.

2 Likes

The first job of the next president after Trump will be to reverse almost every single thing he did and spend month in diplomacy to do so. Trump’s destructive legacy will leave a long, long trail.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.