Trump's trade war cost the world $2t, wiping 6% off the global one percent's books

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/12/capgemini.html

7 Likes

Yeah, but brown people are scary!

6 Likes

This seems to suggest that:

1 - tariffs are actually harming those least-likely to be injured by the tariff (meaning “I can’t afford gas” versus “my vast wealth has decreased some”), and
2 - more or less successfully hit their target regions.

Regardless of whether or not they are good for the world, and whether or not they are the right thing to do, based on this data, they appear to have been targeted correctly.

I’m personally surprised, as I expected the retaliatory tariffs to the USA to have had a larger impact than they have on top-line prices for goods.

This is probably why I shouldn’t be an economist.

19 Likes

So much winning.

18 Likes

Not an economic expert but any stretch but this seems like a boiling frog scenario. I’m sure the prices will continue to rise slowly the longer this bullshit goes on, and when it stops they will stay high rather than drop.

24 Likes

Agreed - I think that will be the one long-term economic effect regardless, since AFAICT there’s no incentive to cut prices afterwards really, unless a competitor starts a price war.

14 Likes

Does that mean wealth inequality has been decreased by 6%?

… didn’t think so.

It’s just been moved around “up there” somewhere.

10 Likes

Stuff is getting more expensive and not less so.

Who’s paying for this nonsense?

We are.

8 Likes

But if it owns the libs, do it in spades.

3 Likes

It’s going to be hard to win re-election if you’re costing the 1% their returns, especially when the economy was otherwise humming along.

6 Likes

Hence holding off on a China trade deal until the last moment.

You know that’s exactly what he is doing.

Blue balling the blue bloods.

4 Likes

It takes more than one party to have a trade war.

This might evolve into a currency war- like what resulted in the Plaza Accord in the 80s.

3 Likes

13 Likes

Peter Navarro at work with his chief economic advisor:

8 Likes

So, at which percentage of “loss” will the 1% decide that Donnie-2-Bibles is bad for business, and start to do something about it?

5 Likes

Exactly. Tinyhands can screw the “poors” over as much as he wants, from any direction. But the effing second that his shenanigans start affecting the bottom line for the “real people” of the 1%, his orange ass is grass.

5 Likes

So some of the ultra-wealthy conservative Americans who thought it would be peachy keen to have a right-wing populist in office to protect capitalism turn out to be working against their own economic self-interests as are the Know-Nothing suckers in the base. If only there was some way we could look to past events to see how enabling fascists turns out for a nation-state’s economy.

10 Likes

We’ve got records up the wazoo. All the current crop of top-ranked capitalists can see is where previous examples failed. Note their never-ending chant of, “if you damned workers would just give it a chance, it would work this time.”

Actually acknowledging that the system itself is fundamentally flawed is as literally unthinkable to them as acknowledging the inherently toxic behavior patterns in religion would be to a dyed-in-the-wool zealot.

6 Likes

Going back to the 1930s. But apparently history (the record to which I was sardonically referring) is forgotten the moment enough of the people who lived through it die.

8 Likes

FYI, cut off for being in the global 1% is 32,000 USD per year…

8 Likes