HP's new logo a hit

They didn’t use Firewire on iPads. By the time the iPad was released, FireWire was only used as an industry standard for video professionals, and even then, wasn’t very popular anymore. FireWire was only used on the older iPods – when they did equal duty as music devices and portable hard drives.

If your argument boils down to “Apple should’ve stuck to 30-year-old parallel & serial ports instead of using newer, faster, more efficient ones!” then I’m afraid you’re one of the very few people in the world with that belief.

2 Likes

Perhaps before PCs. But even then, industry-standard composite video was what you’d almost always encounter.

Once the PC’s CGA and monochrome became common - many manufacturers building monitors and video cards for them, you rarely saw anything but them and composite video. EGA came along, and CGA monitors worked with it.

You could plug a VGA monitor into an EGA port with an $2 adapter.

There (EGA to VGA) there really was a major difference in what you were getting. And in both cases you’re talking about industry standards: EGA monitors and adapters didn’t disappear from the market entirely because one company stopped making them.

In the 29 years since VGA became standard. MUCH higher resolutions. MUCH higher color depths. And yet they didn’t keep switching to new ports each time. A 29-year-old VGA monitor will work with my new PC (and at newer color depths, but not at newer resolutions), and a 29-year-old PC will work with my new monitor.

2 Likes

Sorry, I haven’t kept track of the different proprietary Apple connectors. When I said “Firewire”, I meant “previous proprietary iPad/iPhone connector.”

2 Likes

That’s the world my Alpha and I live in.

2 Likes

I got Fnord stickers off ebay for my F150. One person has asked me about them in five years.

3 Likes

Nice strawman argument. I’ve made it clear that that’s NOT what I’m saying:

My new HP PC has - in addition to modern industry-standard HDMI, DVI USB3 and other ports - the same parallel and serial ports that I had on my Apple II more than 30 years ago.
[…]
Sure, better standards like SCSI and USB came along, but that didn’t stop them from still including parallel and serial ports.

Obviously that’s too much to ask on a tablet, but…

one of my other tablets from the same era has both micro-USB and micro-hdmi in less space than one (old proprietary iPadport).

Nothing stops Apple from supporting perfectly good industry standard ports. And if not including ports to support dacades-old standards, then to at least support just a previous generation or two of Apple’s own proprietary standards.

It’s all about selling new overpriced peripherals and cables with each new device.

2 Likes

duh, this is the funtion of the word - unable to see consciously but giving an uneasy feeling. works every time for me when I see a 2+ tonnes tractor used as city car.

1 Like

If by ‘industry standard’ you mean adopting an advanced standard better than what’s being used on other devices and using it among their entire computer ecosystem, then I think they’re doing just fine. And given that, again, they provide tons of adaptor solutions to let previous generations use new standards, I don’t see any issue.

It must suck to be so bitter and cynical about the connection ports on computer devices you don’t use.

[quote=“nungesser, post:48, topic:76205”]
If by ‘industry standard’ you mean adopting an advanced standard better than what’s being used on other devices [/quote]

Using industry standards is one of the most important ways to make something better. Apple’s proprietary ports rarely have any real-world improvements for the vast majority of their users, that make up for their incompatibilities.

and using it among their entire computer ecosystem,

That’s what other companies do (USB for example), NOT Apple.

It must suck to be so bitter and cynical about the connection ports on computer devices you don’t use.

I have iPads with both the old proprietary ports and the new. I’ve owned several Macs over the years and Apple II+ / IIe machines before that.

It must suck to be so bitter and cynical about meeting an Apple user who isn’t a fawning subservient fanboy.

1 Like

Um. Okay. I suggest looking into the capabilities of the Lightning port, the DVI port, etc.

Also: adaptors. Yes. They exist.

Again: Lightning. Used on all Apple devices.

That’s the MIT Press logo since at least the 60s. It was designed by Muriel Cooper. She was pretty brilliant and involved in the Visual Language Workshop which was folded in to the Media Lab years later.

It illustrates the carrier-message theory of font design in which a font is driven by a general pattern of spatial movement, the carrier, then modulated to specify the individual letters, the message. Modifying the carrier, but retaining modulation produces variant fonts like italic and bold forms. HP seems to use the italic form of the old MIT Press carrier.

4 Likes

HP’s reputation took a big hit from their consumer grade PC’s that were about as durable as a box made of tissue paper. Their business class EliteBooks have been awesome (but expensive).

1 Like

Their reputation seems to flow back and forth. I remember not long ago when they were considered very durable and solid; they seem to have fallen way, way short in the past five years. I’ve been out of the PC market for awhile; whose machines actually have a decent reputation these days?

10 Likes

[quote=“Penforhire, post:52, topic:76205, full:true”]
HP’s reputation took a big hit from their consumer grade PC’s that were about as durable as a box made of tissue paper.[/quote]

Agreed. The weird thing is that their business PCs don’t cost much more. They’re boring-looking black boxes by comparison, but they’re rock-solid reliable.

Lighting has on-paper improvements over micro-usb. But not much in the real world to counter being a proprietary Apple-only standard.

Being reversible is nice, though the way they did it is a fire hazard.

DVI is a different matter of course, with real improvements over VGA. And a good example of a industry standard that everyone supports, rather than an Apple proprietary port. My previous PC (also from HP) and monitor from 2006 used it.

DVI is being replaced by DisplayPort, but PCs and monitors tend to come with both. (And HDMI.) (And hopefully by now, HDMI 2.)

Mod note: Get back on topic and stay there.

When I scroll the page up and down, the logo waggles side-to-side.
Explain that, science!

This one?

1 Like

The unfortunate thing is the idea that this is their ‘luxury’ logo, rather than just their logo. I really hope they don’t try to segregate their products that way.

As much as I like the logo, the gold-and-black laptop is painfully elitist. It reminds me way too much of the $3000 Vertu cell phone.