Huawei president Ren Zhengfei: We won't spy on US even if Chinese law requires us to, what backdoors?

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/20/huawei-president-we-wont-sp.html

In his first U.S. TV interview, Ren Zhengfei describes Huawei as “a tomato” crushed between two superpowers.

2 Likes

From 2014:

5 Likes

We won’t spy on US even if Chinese law requires us to

Roger That!

7 Likes

various US tech companies:

We wont spy on foreigners even if US Three-Letter agencies tell us to.

Roger that!

In other news:

4 Likes

I think Mandy Rice-Davies applies here.

"Well he would say that wouldn’t he."

2 Likes

There have been many extraordinary claims about their hardware and an extraordinary lack of evidence to support those claims.

Unless one has bias based on the nationality of Zhengfei and Huawei, one should expect evidence to backup these claims.

1 Like

I mean, this is nonsense, of course. He absolutely would follow the law or he’d be out of business in a shot, and possibly disappeared soon after.

In my four years living in China, the biggest misunderstanding of the west I saw in some otherwise very, very smart and enlightened zhongguo ren is that western civilians treat their media with substantially less credulity than the Chinese.

I think Ren might be surprised at how little impact his comments ultimately have; that or he doesn’t care.

3 Likes

I’m prepared to forgive them, provided that, 20 or so years from now, when the truth finally comes out, they simply confess that they meant to let us know all along that they were in fact spying all that time.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.