Hugh Grant stars in A24 thriller about charming but deranged man who forces mormon missionaries into basement labyrinth

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/25/hugh-grant-stars-in-a24-thriller-about-charming-but-deranged-man-who-forces-mormon-missionaries-into-basement-labyrinth.html

7 Likes
9 Likes

Why that’s two evil labyrinth purveyors in a row, Hugh John Mungo Grant! (“Mungo”?)

(gormless trivia: the “A24” is taken from an Italian motorway)

11 Likes

Just avoid Tomorrowland. (Not that I blame Grant for that one, it was just a badly written story.) n/m I was misremembering my Hughes.

9 Likes

Great monologue at the end, though.

(Pretty sure it was Hugh Laurie.)

6 Likes

Hugh Grant is that kind of actor who was, bafflingly, cast as a “charming” romantic lead before casting directors realised he actually came across as creepy and unsettling.

His performance as Jeremy Thorpe in A very English Scandal epitomises this creepy and unsettling nature.

Name your romantic comedy for how utterly charmless and unconvincing he was.

7 Likes

Wait, are you thinking of Hugh Laurie?

7 Likes

Ah yes, you’re right.

5 Likes

I used to only conflate Rip Torn and Rip Taylor; now I notice it happens more often with similarly named people.

10 Likes

I mean, since you just put it out there…

17 Likes

If this new movie does not have Jarnathan then what are we even doing here?

5 Likes

I will be honest here, if someone swapped out one Hugh for another partway through a movie I am not 100% sure I would notice.

13 Likes

Seems like there should be a movie starring the two of them, playing the same person, but in different parts of the multiverse… It’d be a romantic, sci-fi comedy, of course… or probably more of a dramedy?

13 Likes

Or maybe a movie where each one has a cameo playing the other.

8 Likes

could work… but I think my multiverse rom-dramedy has some legs! :grimacing: :laughing:

5 Likes

Dr. House and the Multiverse of Mickey Blue Eyes

7 Likes

I was kinda shocked by how good this D&D movie was.

12 Likes

I would like to think that a romcom would work where these two narcissistic British men fall in love with each other, because really they are self-involved and they are both basically the same person.

8 Likes

How can you say that? One is Oxford and the other is Cambridge.

Could never mix them up.

12 Likes

Community GIF

9 Likes