Human composting may soon be legal in Washington state

Well, I think this method—in addition to accelerating the process by which human biomass is returned to the broader system—is intended to do away with the need for formaldehyde and a lot of the other preservatives that conventional burial relies on. Should be fewer hazardous chemicals going into the ground overall.

3 Likes

caitlin-doughty-skull-eyebrows

Alternatives? Let’s figure some out!

I too, am team sky burial!

8 Likes
7 Likes

Animals typically eat them:

1 Like

In Japanese culture, one never passes food from chopsticks to chopsticks (eg, “here, try this”). This is reserved for the funeral service where, post cremation, the family passes remaining bone fragments from one person to the next (via chopsticks).

4 Likes

When I opened the urn of my mother’s cremated remains (“cremains” - no, just no) to scatter them, I didn’t really know what to expect. It looked like dry cement mix, minus the gravel chunks. So, bone pieces large enough to pass by chopstick aren’t part of the cremation process in the US. And I suspect US culture at large is too squeamish about all things body to accept remains that look like what they are.

1 Like

In fairness those modern burial practices are hardly unique to Christians.

3 Likes

I don’t get it, could you please break it down for me?

Could be worse I suppose.

2 Likes

It drives me up the wall, but the people I really potty pity (hahahaha!) are the egyptologists who have to see that shit in the checkout aisle every day.

Not only do we know how they were built…we even have some of the builders’ original spreadsheets!

3 Likes

Wasn’t there just a thread here somewhere about how ancient people moved large stones? Or r i confuse?

2 Likes

I was trying to link just to the image. Fail.

Wait, weren’t they granaries?

Yes, only a mystery if you ignore all the archeological evidence. Same with Stonegenge, the Nazca lines, the Easter Island stone statues etc.

2 Likes

I chose body donation. And yes, I’ve read the Reuters article. Somebody out there will need spare parts.

3 Likes

Yeah, I know: was meaning to also work in a comment on how Nationalist Foxographic has gone to utter shit.

I think those headlines must be catnip for their massively intellectually insecure target market.

“Hur hur, them scientists got all that book learnin’, but they don’t know what’s in the bible!”

So, after all was said and done (i.e. not during the process), and the body had turned into soil, how would it smell?

Somewhere, I don’t remember if it was in Mary Roach’s wonderful 2004 book Stiff, or here, or somewhere else, there was mention of a Swedish company named Promessa that freeze-dried your remains, which would then turn back into soil. The idea of essentially turning human remains back into soil and using them as such appeals to me a lot more than having the remains take up space in a cemetery or mausoleum for eternity.

1 Like
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.