Humanoid robot goes for a stroll

Naturally can run faster, less of a swinging motion, less counterbalancing needed.

1 Like

Cost isn’t there, but I’m pretty sure a treaded vehicle would have problems with the platform jumping

1 Like

But can it stand still? As Laurie Anderson pointed out, walking is just falling and catching yourself over and over.

5 Likes

Walking is a bit more clever than that. On a flat surface, it is a bit like having a giant wheel, only you only have two small segments of the wheel, so you keep swapping the bit from the back to the front so you can keep going. Ever done the slow walk in Tai Chi? I understand it but I can’t do it.

I would have replied the rod at the back of the leg with something a bit springy like tendon. I am not a robot engineer, but think that is where a lot of the clunk is coming from. That should make it more efficient too,

1 Like

I was thinking “but it can’t even sit.” But then I realized, why would it need to?

1 Like

If a robot falls in the woods and its bipedal locomotion researcher isn’t around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Also:

Q: Why did the robot walk across the woods?
A: To destroy the last pockets of human resistance on the other side.

6 Likes

Quit calling these robots; it’s a radio-controlled walker. A robot is supposed to be autonomous: “a machine resembling a human being and able to replicate certain human movements and functions automatically.” Note the last word!

4 Likes

I was looking for some footage of it actually changing direction. It seems to be able to side step; but the footage seemed to cut when it approached actual corners.

3 Likes

But does it know what to do when someone behind it shouts “LEFT!” with maximum entitlement?

4 Likes

“all controlled through a robust API that can be accessed both onboard the robot and via a wireless link

This will end well!

2 Likes

The last scene was unfortunate if you’re trying to tout the agility of your Agility Robotics robot. You walk it along a perfectly nice path but then have it walk past, but not on, a narrow log across the river.

If you’re trying to sell the thing, don’t pose the question about obvious gaps in functionality in the viewers mind.

1 Like

That sounds more like the definition of an android to me…

1 Like

The operator is steering it, but there are a lot of automatic functions going on here. He is not controlling the steps or motion of the limbs, or the balance - all that is automatic. The operator is just adding input to the system to alter the direction.

1 Like

I work with Agility as a parts supplier, I’ve visited their facility and seen Digit first hand. This video is real as rain.

1 Like

Hey, nobody kicked it! We’re getting better folks (or that’s in another non-public video).

I’m surprised the robotics people haven’t been in business with the sex doll people yet. Sounds like there’s money to be made.

Hot digitigrade!

1 Like

A sex doll you can take on long walks along the beach?

2 Likes

my%20mind

Very pretty, Colonel. But can they fight?
images%20(2)