Humans have a sixth sense for Earth's magnetic field

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/18/humans-have-a-sixth-sense-for.html

6 Likes

Well, that explains a lot, I think.

10 Likes

I don’t think it does, we’re poles apart on this, frankly.

33 Likes

“North UP! Dammit! NORTH UP!”

7 Likes

tumblr_ntcsugn7O01rsxqqio1_250

10 Likes

So that’s why I’m always headed for the fridge…

19 Likes

Tighten your tin foil hat, the signal with get jammed. Works for me.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m not falling for the old “Wanna see my carrot?” routine twice.

12 Likes

Years ago, hiking through a caldera in New Zealand, I had this very weird sensation. I asked my geologist husband if this area could be magnetic. He said “most probably”. WTF! Never happened again.

11 Likes

I don’t understand tin foil hats.

15 Likes

What three times is a charm?

3 Likes

“Five a day” gets you barred, OK?

4 Likes

Weird. When travelling I have always been able to tell if I was sleeping in a different direction than my bed at home.

12 Likes

Wonder if this varies from person to person? I get lost incredibly easily.

9 Likes

Now I can trash my Waze app!

2 Likes

They did check that their instruments were unaffected by magnetic fields themselves, didn’t they?

5 Likes

an_audience_with_jasper_carrott

6 Likes

I would like to see it tested on people from the southern hemisphere. I can usually find north, but I seem to use shadows and the sun. I wonder if Australian aboriginal people can do it? They have been living here long enough that they might have adapted to the southern field.

2 Likes

I was once in a room with an unshielded MRI machine. Just being in there felt “off” - the machine exuded wrongness. I wonder if this is why.

Edit: Of course, that’s many orders of magnitude more powerful than the earth’s magnetic field. And the prevailing theory was that a magnetic field that strong induced movement internally that you couldn’t pinpoint, but that your body sensed, and that accounted for the sensation. That explanation never really sat with me, though - messing with instinctual direction-sense seems more consistent, to me, with what I felt that day

6 Likes

15 Likes