Hundreds of rare three-eyed crustaceans found in Arizona desert after a storm

Three ocelli in addition to the big compound eyes is fairly common in insects. Bees, ants and grasshoppers all have 'em.

2 Likes

You’ve made me feel good. While I myself am very old I missed that owl joke. Maybe its even older than I am, you gotta tell me.

2 Likes

Unless you actually went to Arizona, aren’t you still seeing videos of them?

1 Like

3 Likes

“Desert Shrimp” still inspire wonder as a concept. Let alone “living fossil desert shrimp”.

1 Like

That’s good advice anyway. I enjoyed the Wukoki ruin there so much that I made a cake of it in February 2008

3 Likes

Nope. My triops experiences are limited to catching a bunch in undergrad in a vernal pool on a very cold and windy day for something I can’t remember now that was supposed to be some sort of species survey that I got roped into helping with (not even my research that I froze my ass off for), and being unable to raise them from eggs with one of those kits, very special water, special minerals, etc… with GirlChild.

1 Like

Well, lucky you!

They’re widely available (and apparently make for a fun cannibal pet experience!)

1 Like

Okay. First, the background: Our department’s chief engineer, Carl, told a group of us wet-behind-the-ears newbies the joke back in the early 90s. He was a bit past retirement age then, and he later on told us he learned the joke (actually a shaggy dog story) when he was in his teens, so, yep – it’s an old one – one which requires just the right moment for use upon an unsuspecting audience. Our group was talking about certain foods when Carl busted out the story:

“Ever had owl? This is how you cook it. Pluck it, gut it, then nail it, with its wings fully spread, to a suitably sized oak board. Season the owl’s innards with salt and pepper, and add chopped onions and carrots. Put it into a large pot of boiling water and cook for 30 minutes. When done, throw away the owl and eat the board.”

Anyway, you could see the punchline from a mile away, and all I could do was watch the others to see who got caught. Exquisitely, at the end of the story, a couple there were stunned silent for several seconds. I asked Carl how long he had waited for the right time for the telling: “Fifteen years!!”

1 Like

That joke was ancient when my father heard it as a child, regarding how to prepare Carp.

2 Likes

It’s the kind of joke that morphs readily over time. ex: Add some sliced potatoes.

1 Like

OK, yeah, I’ve heard the variations on that. Chief among them cooking Possum. At my age I need jokes with a shorter shelf life though. I love that kind of stuff, The one or two folks that are slack-jawed at the end, there’s the beauty of it. Gobsmacked by the dumbassery of it all.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.