Hundreds of rare three-eyed crustaceans found in Arizona desert after a storm

Originally published at: Hundreds of rare three-eyed crustaceans found in Arizona desert after a storm | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Any recipes for dinosaur shrimp anyone?

7 Likes
12 Likes

Now why did God put that in Arizona? Hmmmm…

6 Likes

Eye eye eye see see see what what what you you you did did did there there there!!!

6 Likes

Hmm, first thing I thought was it looked like a horseshoe crab…

5 Likes

Yay, friends for Blinky!

Season 2 GIF by The Simpsons

The Simpsons Cartoon GIF

15 Likes

I don’t think they’re rare. My kids had a triops aquarium kinda thingie. Kind of like Sea Monkeys: you filled it with water and added some triops eggs food and presto - instant life forms! They were gross and ended up eating each other until there was only one large one left.

13 Likes

Neat! I’ve seen videos of them - but never seen on IRL.

6 Likes

So - you basically made Triops Thunderdome?

18 Likes

Yeah, inadvertently. We did read some where that they were cannibals. One day we had 8 swimming around in the little tank, then there were 5 … count down to 1. “It’s the circle of life, kids.”

6 Likes

I made the mistake of buying two Oscar fish once. Or maybe they were the same sex, I dunno, but one chased the other around until it died. It never messed with any of the other fish, just that one.

5 Likes

few side notes:
Mosquitos eggs can also dessicate and rehydrate to hatch after a rain like the triops
The triop’s third eye is an ocellus not a compound eye (simpler eye, single lens, not used for resolving images)
Horseshoe crabs have a lot more than three; they have are 10 distinct areas of photoreceptors:

Mammals are just so boring. Arthropoda has an endless reserve of creatures that prompt a “holy shit, what is that thing?”

28 Likes

I agree! And all the old fossils, like trilobites!

6 Likes

Yeah they creeped me out and they did eat each other.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Something something “mysteeeeeeeerioooussss waysssssss”…

4 Likes

They seem pretty common, both the ghost and giant varieties at science gift shops and craft stores that have science kits.

5 Likes

now I am really wanting to hear you tell about the time a kid and parent came in to have you treat little Johnny’s “pet” triops!
“It is my professional opinion, son, that when triops present upside down, floating in this manner, they are not likely to recover.”
“sorry for your loss…”

2 Likes

It might be the same recipe mentioned in that very old joke on how to prepare and cook owls.

1 Like