Husband and wife terror team behind San Bernardino massacre had thousands of bullets

Friend. We have a clue.

2 Likes

The funny thing is that itā€™s exactly backwards, firearms companies are continually embarrassed by the NRA, and at least one was on the receiving end of a long boycott for defying the NRA over a law. The NRA gets most of its support from its millions of members, and often creates PR nightmares for the firearms industry through their ham handed statements.

2 Likes

the agenda is profit, unfortunately. overriding the goals of people there who might even want to try to do good journalism.

2 Likes

A distinction without a difference is a type of logical fallacy where an author or speaker attempts to describe a distinction between two things although no difference exists. It is particularly used when a word or phrase has connotations associated with it that one party to an argument prefers to avoid.

i have some empathy, because ā€“ unfortunately ā€“ after all the threats and previous acts of violence against planned parenthood: those shootings were not out completely unexpected. in many peopleā€™s minds itā€™s obvious: iā€™m not at planned parenthood, iā€™m not in danger.

here you have a holiday party of some kind, unknown assailants, and unknown motive. i can almost imagine people heading to their fallout shelter.

people have been made to be very afraid, and when something fits with that narrative ā€“ the panic sets in.

itā€™s also, i think, how fascism starts. :frowning:

4 Likes

venison. you gotta kill that deer with something.

3 Likes

They left their child behind, knowing they would never be able to go back for it. Did they actually intend to survive?

A distinction without a difference is a type of logical fallacy where an author or speaker attempts to describe a distinction between two things although no difference exists. It is particularly used when a word or phrase has connotations associated with it that one party to an argument prefers to avoid.

Provided you get a range of sources, stuff with agenda should not be a problem. I occasionally read rt.com, and it is interesting how one often reads ā€œPutin did thisā€ and ā€œPutin said thatā€ on the US or UK news, and it then turns out that it was actually some idiot nationalist MP in the Duma saying something that will never get into law. Also, Putin and Lavrovā€™s speeches as reported in full are usually much more moderate than the paraphrases of the West. Put up against the Republican candidates, Putin is definitely at the Jeb Bush end, not the Trump end.
If you know French, Le Point is also good value (itā€™s centre right by French standards.)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s just my walking around ammo.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a world of difference between a clip and a magazine.
Your argument is therefore invalid.

2 Likes

Thought. People make amazing robotic contraptions from lego or from 3d printed parts.

Could a reloading robot be made?

Sounds completely normal. In my little breakdown, above, I forgot to mention that buying huge buckets of .22 is also considered normal and shouldnā€™t be in my tally of whatā€™s excessive. Itā€™s very common to have thousands of rounds of .22 laying around, because itā€™s so cheap to buy. I was tallying high-calibre rounds in my assessment of what could be commonly branded as ā€œexcessive.ā€

Even if you bought 3x what you just wrote, that would still be normal, because you might have gotten it on sale and you were thinking ahead to the next couple of times you want to go out with your girlfriend.

3 Likes

Of course. There is a whole precision process that is very repetitive, and a robot is perfect for that. Thatā€™s the thing that makes commercial bullets anyhow. A consumer version is not very long from existence.

Iā€™d say about as complex as a home-built pick-and-place. Probably not even needing vision. Just do all the sizing and filing steps and toss the bad brass right before the actual loading and priming steps. Iā€™d keep the human inspection part in the middle, because thatā€™s cheapest and can be done very quickly and accurately.

1 Like

The normal news sources are just fine, you just have to watch, listen, and read with a critical eye. I was watching CNN last night and itā€™s pretty easy to separate out the facts from opinion and editorial. When the story is breaking, thereā€™s often a lot of misinformation, but a few days in and the facts are starting to settle out.

Where do you buy your 22 rounds? I havenā€™t looked for about a year, but last time I checked, the stuff was still on short supply and priced much higher than it was just a few years ago.

1 Like

I helped deliver a snowblower to an elderly couple a few years ago.

We moved hundreds of pounds of ammunition in order to clear enough room in the shed. Iā€™d say an area equivalent to half a cord of firewood, so for you city types thatā€™d be nearly two cubic meters of boxed and crated ammunition in various calibers.

I suggested that such materials were better stored indoors, in the basement, and my suggestion was accepted. I consider that to be a win for society, particularly for the local neighborhood.

Guyā€™s a WWII vet, lost family in the ovens. Doesnā€™t trust governments, unsurprisingly.

6 Likes

France24 is often my go-to for international news.
They have several language streams, including English. Good news analyses too.

1 Like

Anschutz is the rifle maker, and yes, they are known for making great match rifles.

Eley is one of, if not the top, maker of match rimfire ammo, ironically from England. They also make pre-primed brass for other makers, as Mexican Aguila uses Eley primed cartridges. They must use a different priming compound as they have a distinctly different smell than something from say Winchester or Federal.

I have never heard of someone making their own match ammo for .22lr. So he has to be a rare breed indeed. Then again I am not in the precision .22lr shooters circles, so maybe more people do it than I think. If it works for him then great.

4 Likes

Would it be a robot, or just a machine. Thatā€™s how the ammo manufactures make ammo. They donā€™t have people hand pouring powder, it is all automated. I know there are more and more small time ammo makers, so I assume they are using something that is faster/more automated than a hobbyists progressive loader, but smaller than a large plant facility. You wouldnā€™t need something as advanced as a robot with optics or needing to think about things, just a machine that repeats a process.

Lego would be too fragile for sizing and trimming brass and crimping bullets.

I do know one guy who gets range brass, sorts, and sells it. He has a fancy machine that reminds me of a gold panning sluice. You can dump a bucket of mixed brass and it goes down a vibrating belt and the various shell sizes drop into buckets.

1 Like