Hypothetical Mars colony won't recognize U.S. or international law

Did he declare independence even before setting a foot there?

10 Likes

I believe that his delusions of grandeur are ones involving him having a self-sustaining colony on Mars where his company and whoever he decides are the ones that make the rules.

15 Likes

Hmmm…no bears, but will this do?

Banth1

15 Likes

Soon enough he’ll present the all white linens dress code and you’ll know what his real motives are.

6 Likes

Musk is just going though the plot of Red Mars, except with Ayn-Caps instead of an-coms

15 Likes

Unless they honestly believe they will be able to build a wholly self-sufficient colony (which even the most delusional optimists don’t expect to happen for generations to come) then they’ll still be dependent on the cooperation of the International community for their very survival.

24 Likes

avengers-thor-nope

He’s rejecting any international laws, too. This is only ripe for deep exploitation of other people. He wants to be able to rule as a dictator. There is no such thing as a benevolent dictator. :woman_shrugging:

This! They’ll expect it without any sort of cooperation on their part.

14 Likes

Hey. There are plenty of Americans that won’t recognise U.S. or International law. Why pick on Elon?

He’s got a point: if you are going to go to Mars and settle it, it is worth thinking about what laws ought to apply there before you pack your bags.

1 Like

Though going with “Let’s start with none, then decide when we get there” is probably an indication that things are not going to work out well for everyone.

19 Likes

He seems to be thinking HIS law, which never ends well for everyone else involved.

Jinx @edgore

11 Likes

I would worry about this is there was a chance of there ever being a space X colony on Mars.

11 Likes

I pledge allegiance to the Terms of Service and the Shareholders for which they stand…

30 Likes

It is very strange that this is in the terms for Starlink. Given that it has been established that corporations can unilaterally update terms and conditions for services whenever and however they like, what possible reason is there to have terms and conditions for a situation that absolutely does not exist in the current terms?

Unless it is just to start normalizing their position early

11 Likes

All fun and games until some country or corporation sets up another colony.

16 Likes

Ah, but think about the vast efficiency improvements and cost reductions that that will be made possible in the ensuing war by not have to pay attention to the stupid Geneva Conventions! In fact, that war might be more profitable than any previous war, difficult as that might be to imagine!

7 Likes

I predict that in the 2500s there will be a vocal and violent faction of Mars colonists who refuse to allow curriculum from the 2029 Project to be taught in Colony Primary-Level Mining Operations Schools.

15 Likes

So, you didn’t bother to read anything past the first sentence? In fact, not even the entire first sentence. I did specifically say it seemed dangerous, and that international laws and treaties should be followed.

2 Likes

Not war. Hostile takeover by another means.

5 Likes

Yeah… probably so! :grinning:

No I did. You seem to agree this can easily go sideways… So why would it be a good idea in theory, then? If you agree it’s not a good idea, why is it a theoretically good idea? Theory is pretty much meaningless (on issues like this, at least) if it does not pan out in reality. We have enough data from history on personal dictatorships to know it always goes south. This part of the reason why much of humanity moved away from absolutely monarchies, because they do not work in improving the lot of most people. I’m always of the mind that if it doesn’t work for the betterment of humanity, out it should go.

5 Likes

Everyone’s missing the lede here: the ultimate purpose of these billionaire libertarian “free state” fantasies is always about ridding yourself of onerous laws preventing you from marrying your daughters.

16 Likes