HYST Generic Discussion Thread

Re: Farage quitting.

I saw the news about him quitting this morning. What the fucking fuck. He said his political ambitions were achieved. Apparently his political ambitions were to throw things into chaos but not actually solve anything. I didn’t know his platform as leader of UKIP was to get a weak agree that leaving would be a good idea and then duck out of any kind of work that had to be done after.

What a dick.

8 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Have you seen THIS?:

I may be 15 days late, but this was a thing about 10 years ago.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Loved this guy. I miss some of the early skits on Sesame Street.

1 Like

remember “Go-Go Dancing!” ?

1 Like

Shouldn’t that be Have you just looked at THIS?

2 Likes

LAST CHANCE TO SEE:

3 Likes

7 Likes

I know… this is amazing news. I can only hope we see changes at the state level, too.

6 Likes

CAPTAIN HUGGY FACE!

4 Likes

I know right… my daughter used to love that show.

2 Likes

In a similar vein…

Celebratory Nakamura Time!

5 Likes

I really should learn not to look at the comments on articles like that.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing that! And DARN YOU, now I want to grab a lino block and my carving tools, but I have homework to do!

6 Likes

Mike Mulligan is popular at bed time, as is The Little House - which is probably my favorite.

Ah! I posted this over in SUP MARXISTS!

Oddly enough, we have two variants of Mike Mulligan - one with a few double-page sequences removed, some text reduced, and the town selectman made less nasty. I think that might be the Scholastic edition?

I probably haven’t seen these endpapers in nearly 40 years, since we have softcover editions (and a scholastic “hardcover” that is reduced in content).

#HOLY CRAP - I never heard of this!

A Disney version from 1952 - The Little House | Disney Wiki | Fandom (contains scads of artwork)

Concept art was by Mary Blair, and remained the main influence on the film (According to the disneywiki, above)

(Mary Blair concept art)

I’d seen this before in articles on Blair, and even used it as a desktop background – did not remember or notice at the time it was for The Little House (probably because I “rediscovered” the book only in the last couple of years).

Might I also reccomend Ferndinand as an awesome story of individuality and a desperate pre-WWII paen to Pacifism?

6 Likes

about the Burning Man “vandalism” post that linked to a story in the Telegraph.

A befits an article in the “Tory”-graph, it’s wrong from the opening sentence. Burning Man has its own Ten Principles, none of which are about “a utopian vision of peace and love.” [*]

The poor reporting continues: "In recent years it has become popular with Silicon Valley millionaires, and billionaires. " This sentence is true only if, by recent years, the authors meant “the late 90s.” [**]

and so on. But on to the point of the article.

Paul Oakenfeld is bad news. He has clearly been trying to “sell” the Burning Man experience, which runs directly against the “decommodification” principle. Sadly, the “experience” Paul does sell violates at least four other principles, so he is swindling his customers as well.

Let’s take the camp’s own words;

A band of hooligans raided our camp, stole from us, pulled and sliced all of our electrical lines leaving us with no refrigeration and wasting our food, and glued our trailer doors shut.

Burning Man values pranks and especially performance art. Indeed, “glu[ing] our trailer door shuts” references a famous Burning Man prank and strongly suggests that a vital and hard-core group of Burners known as
“DPW” was involved. Depending on how the camp was generating power, the power interruption would have been closer to a “civic action” then “vandalism.” Indeed, I once did something similar (with the support of my community). One person’s “hooligan” is another person’s “prankster” or “performance artist” or even “practicer of civil dis-obedience.”

While Vandalism is wrong, if these reports on what happened are at all correct, I would have happily of joined the “hooligans.”

[*] Since the average Telegraph editor can’t to distinguish between “not whole-heartedly embracing capitalism” and “utopianism”, the sentence probably seemed “Fair and Balanced” to the staff.

[**] One famous example: as part of hiring process Larry Page and Sergey Brin used to evaluate Eric Schmidt to be CEO of Google was Larry and Sergey taking Eric to the 2001 Burn.

5 Likes

Currently at 28 minutes left to bid. :scream_cat:

1 Like

I :heart: Peter Greenaway. His early films, at any rate.

http://petergreenaway.org.uk/26bathrooms.htm

1 Like

Innnnnteresting. But those aren’t random checks. They look very well-ordered and aligned.

For a brief period when I was in first grade, I carried around a pad of paper and wrote down things that people said. I recall being really pleased with being able to use quotation marks. Dunno if I made anyone nervous.

6 Likes