I am afraid

That bird wearing a Timex?

3 Likes

These days, Iā€™m afraid someone might punch a swan, though.

4 Likes

Genius

2 Likes

Iā€™m afraid I canā€™t do that.

4 Likes

Iā€™m with @SpunkyTWS. I canā€™t stand at the edge of a high precipice, but I can certainly get down on my belly and shimmy up to peek over.

2 Likes

Oh, Iā€™ve heard that one quite a few times. Iā€™m sorry folks, I canā€™t really get it. I float like a cork.

Iā€™m more scared of what might be in the water. I can float on my back till the cows come home, but sharks donā€™t like lean cuts.

1 Like

Sax mouthpieces arenā€™t properly built for that. Although I did see a fellow Sousaphone player knock his two front top incisors out on his tuba mouthpiece when he slipped on a small patch of ice when we were marching in the Seattle thanksgiving parade.

Somehow he managed not to get any blood on his expensive uniform and ā€œpretendedā€ to play the rest of the march.

4 Likes

ā€œHell yeahā€

said the guy who built a flame thrower out of a Zippo, a pesticide sprayer, and a few gallons of kerosene when he was 16.

4 Likes

I always imagine tripping over or bumping into the banister/guardrail. They always seem to be so short that theyā€™re below a human bodyā€™s center of gravity. Whatā€™s supposed to be a safety feature, my mind highlights as a trip hazard.

I float like a rock, so I get it. I can walk along the bottom just fine, but if itā€™s so deep that my head would be underwater, I couldnā€™t do it for very long.

5 Likes

Iā€™m with you, I love floating in the water no matter how deep it is.

What can be in the water is much more terrifying. Not a fan of leaches or water snakes(damn those things are fast). For a while after taking microbiology classes I was afraid of what was in the water. So many tiny things you canā€™t see that can be nasty.

I got over it by summer because I usually define a good summer by being able to go in at least three of the great lakes.

5 Likes

Nope, nope, nope.

I got vertigo yesterday climbing up a set of metal steps that had treads but no risers, so you could see through them, and that was enough. Even though there was no feasible way I could have squeezed through.

Strangely enough, I didnā€™t get vertigo on the way down those same steps.

2 Likes

I cannot step on to a down escalator without holding on. Iā€™m afraid to take a header on the thing. I see other people getting on without holding on and itā€™s like they are walking on water to me. Really only presents a problem with I got my hands full with stuff and need to shift it around. It has to my right hand that holds on to it (which I just realized).

3 Likes

Those are inaptly named Mute Swans, and they are royal assholes. Trumpeter Swans will not set a nest anywhere humans tread with regularity. Trumpeters are notably not assholes.

6 Likes

I surprised no one has mentioned Deep Dark Fears yet.
Its an excellent book/tumblr

9 Likes

https://twitter.com/olenskae/status/843418568033222656

5 Likes

Someone missed that this was fiction. It overly romanticizes both pet geese and Southern cotton farming.

One thing Iā€™m not afraid of: the minutiae from my childhood my brain canā€™t let go of.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Am I afraid of getting a Donald in the questions thread?

5 Likes

When I lived in NYC, I was in the basement with the lights off one night, trying to stay cool in a heat wave. I watched as somebody pushed the window open, popped the screen out, and started to climb down. When they were down to about their shoulders, I loudly said ā€œHI!ā€ and watched as they froze and in a panic began to hurry back up out of the window. I touched their legs and asked ā€œWhere are you going? Would you like some tea?ā€, but they didnā€™t answer. They shit scared.

10 Likes

Now imagine how afraid you would be if you suddenly realized that you were not holding and blowing into a saxophone, but a goose!

3 Likes