I am in love with my Kindle Paperwhite

Just because you can’t (or couldn’t) photocopy doesn’t mean that these papers can’t be rendered in B&W. I mean, unless your workflow for reading these papers is to start with the physical version and, feed them into a monochrome scanner, and create the pdfs yourself.

Thanks. I’m not really looking that far ahead yet but from what I hear the blind are most satisfied with iOS and that’s what I’d be most comfortable supporting when it comes to that stage.
Other large format e-ink readers are expensive. (Yes, a wee edit after I did the obligatory duckduckgo)

Even then it should work. Traditional photocopiers don’t have any ability to reproduce greyscale, just black or white and nothing in between - hence why they were so bad at reproducing photos. Digital scanners,/photo conversion tools have full greyscale at their disposal. However, different e-ink display devices have varying ability to reproduce greyscale, so the specs for the make and model of the e-ink reader is going to be the real deciding factor.

Yes, iOS has gotten high marks for its accessible interface. I’m unsure, though, to what degree it makes a good TTS e-reader, which is a slightly more specific animal. I’d add that you don’t need to be blind to enjoy good text to speech, and if you add one of the Ivona voices to Android, the TTS for books is very good. In fact, that is the reason I use my Android devices more than my iOS devices - there were no good TTS ereaders for iOS when last I checked, (Hopefully that has changed since two years ago) Either way, you can consider TTS now as an adjunct to merely resizing text.

That’s a helpful way of looking at it. Thanks.
I think at the moment the advantages of an e-ink reader (ambient light and long battery life, weight(?)) for a relatively low tech person like my dad outweigh those of a full fledged smartphone/tablet. Hopefully one day there will be no distinction between the two. Whatever happened to the amazing display they were putting in the original OLPC? Is it snarled up in patents or just not all that good?

That’s the sort of illustration I recall was problematic,

That seems like a fine example. That would choke a photo copy machine.

Greyscale isn’t great, but way better than the black or white of a photo copy. Color provides information, so subtracting the color in a color informational graphic can be a problem - though just being color blind would make this graphic near useless

Here’s a stock greyscale version.

This takes out the color information; some fields are colored green, some red. (I guess a pair of fluorescent-labeled antigens with different colors?)

What about some special piece of little code that processes these squares and overlaps each rectangle with a pair of little digits with the brightness of red and green? Or maybe a pair of bars?

I use the kindle app on my android tablet with the reverse color scheme (white text/black background) with an app called ScreenDim (I use the “full” version). Once I get ScreenDim dialed in to a brightness/contrast that works, reading in the dark is not a problem – I also increase the font size a bit. (in the morning, the screen is so dim that I can barely tell that the screen is on).

Yes. I have no idea why gene expression heat-maps like to use the problematic red and green (and while yes, some micrographs use red and green because that’s what the fluorescent labels are, realize that heat maps are just taking numbers and making a graphic – the colors are entirely arbitrary so long as the legend explains what represents high or low numbers)

No one wants to make it. This is probably because they think no one wants it and it is no good for video and quick moving games.

How do you manage to read this on a laptop or big monitor without the same thing happening then? It is the same technology (except an iPad screen, for example, probably has twice the resolution).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.