I bought the second installment in Neal Shusterman's Scythe series before I finished the first book

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/16/711044.html

2 Likes

Please keep us updated in November! I want to read this series.

Alas, I had to institute a Rothfus/GRRM rule, which is wait until the series is done before jumping in, because I hate waiting.

It is related to my Lost/XFiles rule which never watch a show with a big overarching plot line powered by lots of weekly mysteries and reveals, until it concludes and you know that the payoff was worth it, and not a bunch of ad-hoc shit the writers were making up on the fly.

2 Likes

That is a really good rule. Lost totally lost me.

HOWEVER, I think Life on Mars may be my favorite TV show ever and I still refuse to watch the last episode and find out how it ends.

7 Likes

American or British? I can’t speak to the quality of the American series in general, but I did see how it ended, and I can say the British version is much, much better. Not that I’ll mention how either one ends, of course.

4 Likes

I didn’t start watching The Sopranos until the run was over for the same reason. I knew the ambiguous ending of the last episode ticked a lot of people off but I knew it was coming so it didn’t really bother me. Plus they actually set it up pretty cleverly with an earlier line when Bobby Baccala says “You probably don’t even hear it when it happens, right?”

2 Likes

I never watched the American version.

You have completely missed every moral, social and religious implication being made by the first two installments of this brilliant trilogy. This article is an a abomination.

1 Like

You seem pleasant.

5 Likes

I am pleasant. I don’t appreciate such incredibly short, incorrect and incomplete reviews of such well written books.

The review is 100% accurate and gives away nothing that the reader should discover on their own.

I standby the review and would be fairly shocked if the author was anything but thrilled to have such a positive review on Boing Boing.

9 Likes

There is just one problem with this rule: if everyone adopted it, there would be no series.

Sales of each book determine whether there will be a subsequent book. There would be no television with any plot that couldn’t be resolved in half an hour (not just the episode plot, but the whole story), because nothing would get enough ratings or sales to keep going.

1 Like

You keep recommending books that I then want to read. Not that I’m complaining, exactly, but damn I have a lot of reading to do.

Thanks!

3 Likes

First, you have a stray “a” there. I know, being a new account, you can’t go in and edit after posting. I just had to point it out. Welcome to boingboing.

Second, seriously, based on this article I will be buying these books. I don’t need a recommendation to capture and explain “… every moral, social and religious implication being made …” in order for me to find it worthwhile. I certainly don’t see how this can be viewed as an abomination. But it’s obvious you feel strongly about the series as well, so now I’m really looking forward to it. I just have to get a few other books read first.

Also, what little I know about this series based on the article, it reminded me in spirit of The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect. It may be nothing like it, really, but I did enjoy that a lot so this feel like it’ll be right up my imagination alley.

4 Likes

First I am going to have to read some Gene Wolfe in memoriam.

The good news is that not watching the last episode doesn’t stop you from safely watch the brilliant follow-up series, Ashes to Ashes, set a decade later.

1 Like

Not what I want in a book review. That kind of stuff is for the book. Plopping it in a review would harm my reading experience.
Also unnecessary. This review has me queuing the book up to read when I’m done with what I already have.

1 Like

No, he didn’t. They’re implied in the sarcastic exclamation marks.

Not for nothing, but who cares whether you appreciate them or not? I’d rather read a pithy, glowing review like this one (which led to me buying the first volume of the series, by the way) than a spoilery, didactic exegesis of the book’s MORAL HEFT. This isn’t meant to be a book report or a scholarly paper. It’s a guy (who runs this blog) saying “I liked this book, I bet people who read this blog will like this book too, and here’s just enough information to hook those people.”

2 Likes

It is a great book and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

3 Likes

Someone positively reviews a book series you like, and your first instinct is to berate them? Seek help.

This isn’t the first person I’ve seen in recent weeks who seems to have forgotten what reviews are. What is going on?

4 Likes

You should see some of the crap we’ve had to delete. I am guessing this series means something to people I am unaware of.

1 Like