"I feel like I’m on a hamster wheel" — US cost of living has skyrocketed since 2020

Originally published at: Hard Numbers: Americans Face Soaring Expenses

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-30/2021-was-best-year-for-u-s-corporation-profits-since-1950

Profits Soar as U.S. Corporations Have Best Year Since 1950

New data show earnings jumped 35% in 2021, while workers got an 11% bump.

Gosh.
I wonder how this is all connected…

22 Likes

Thinking Patrick GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

11 Likes

You can trace the trend really beginning with Reagan. CEO pay goes up, worker pay stays the same, while worker productivity still goes up. The rich get fabulously richer while everyone else stagnates.

And the rich then use that extra wealth to game the laws to their benefit even more. Democracy is replaced by oligarchy.

freakingMOON

24 Likes

Consumers: :notes: Skyrockets in flight! :disappointed_relieved:

Corporations & Oligarchs :notes: AFTERNOON DELIGHT! :grin:

7 Likes

but but… eleven out of thirteen economists assure us that:“The decrease in the rate of inflation is flattening off”! (“Yeah but only when annualized against non-quarterly QSTs over non-annuity based MOVs”)

5 Likes

I had gotten rid of all my debt but i did buy a house this year, and had to buy appliances and do some expensive updates to the house :smiling_face_with_tear: so back to the grind. It really sucks because i’m constantly breaking even and that makes me nervous, anything unexpected happens and i’m screwed.

8 Likes

When rent takes more than half of an individual’s pay, they’re living in that hamster wheel – inflation or not.

They also said “companies will bring prices down once higher interest rates tame inflation.” Meanwhile I’m still waiting to see the price of a box of cereal I used to buy that went up 20% in 2021 come down even slightly.

13 Likes

New trending GIF tagged pizza eating hamster via… | Trending Gifs

Even hamsters are saying that their slices are getting smaller.

8 Likes

It’s a good thing the inflation is transitory! Otherwise, …

2 Likes

Well, maybe if you took care of them better this wouldn’t be as much of an issue.

Things like electricity and groceries are important, but this really feels like cherry picking.

“Cherry picking” would be showcasing a bunch of things that were not indicative of the overall trend to make a disingenuous argument.

Including non-critical items as part of a broader trend for increased cost of living isn’t that.

8 Likes

Economists only visit Earth occasionally.

8 Likes

Yeah the argument is perhaps slightly lazy I agree. I suspect that’s because anyone that lives in this country and isn’t in the top 1% of the 1% knows how drastically everything has risen cost wise and doesn’t need a thorough statistical breakdown of the different items.

1 Like

Yes and prices are inflated despite record profits, wages remain stagnant.

Meanwhile GOP Senate hopeful John Rust’s family egg farm was busted creating artificial scarcity by exporting more eggs.

3 Likes

Stick with it- the only expense in my life that hasn’t increased is my mortgage (you did get a fixed-rate loan right?)

2 Likes

Of course :grin: it just sucks to go from no debt to a whole bunch of money. But at the end of the day I’m glad not to be renting anymore

2 Likes

74e9bf7c7a74dacdfc7cbff13177dbca

4 Likes

I think about 90% of the people I know have to do “side hustles” to make ends meet, typically buying stuff at thrift stores and reselling online. At this point every Goodwill I go to has five or six people who are there every day right when it opens, and lunge at every rack and bin they bring out like starving kids slurping up gruel. I’ve seen a few fistfights too, fighting over scraps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.