I finally replaced my

But pockets aren’t the original invention. They were only invented because THINGS had already been invented, and needed a convenient carrying mechanism. Necessity being the mother of invention, and all that.

8 Likes

12 Likes

Remind me never piss off rusty shackleford.

3 Likes

Over and over and over and over and over again.

13 Likes

Feeling indecisive?

:slight_smile:

Dunno.

ETA: Maybe.

6 Likes

3 Likes

Could always crowd-source it I suppose. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aye, you could.

My car. Sad to see the back of the Exa (known in the US as a Pulsar NX, IIRC)… I’m gonna miss the turbo.

Scored an '02 Lancer (known in the US as a Mirage) with 80,000km on it for $1500. The body’s a bit rough, but 80,000! Mind you, the gauges were intermittent, so that might be 100,000, but still. Took fuck-all to get a roadworthy :grinning:

Like the Exa, it’s under a tonne, and it’s a 1.8, so it goes okay, but I have a turbo sitting around that I reckon is destined to get installed on this puppy… There’s no going back; this thing has twice the valves, but it feels wheezy after living boosted :smiling_imp:

8 Likes

Finally replaced my house.

Well, strictly speaking, I replaced it before I sold it, which is bass-ackwards. I actually replaced the house in January or March or thereabouts, but today escrow finally closed on my old house so I never have to deal with that damned thing ever again!

Actually, I loved that house, but prepping it for sale was the biggest pain in the ass I’ve ever experienced. Thank the maker it’s over with. Now all my weekend labor can be focused on the house I’m actually living in!

14 Likes

I finally replaced my laptop.

The old one was an HP Pavillion somethingorother bought during a holiday sale at Best Buy ("…there’s your problem…") 5 years ago. Even when it was new, it didn’t run Windows smoothly, much less any other software. Almost ten seconds to open up Chrome. It could just about handle Worms Armageddon (from 1999) or Bejeweled. It could chug along with Torchlight 2 or Rebel Galaxy (with graphics options at minimum, and occasional stutters).

The new one is an Acer Aspire E 15 from Amazon, $550, which has an actual gaming graphics card (if a relatively moderate one) and an SSD. Boots to Windows 10 in about three and a half eyeblinks. Has no trouble with streaming Steam games over WiFi, or playing games directly. I just installed Overwatch on it this morning, and it’s totally smooth on the High graphics setting (I didn’t try Ultra).

3 Likes

Hey, got any recommendations for hiking books for someone getting into backpacking? My old fashioned walking shoes are wearing out, although I consider them quite comfortable for long distances. I don’t want to shell out ~0.2 kilobucks only to find out I bought something more stylish and less rugged.

Sure. I’ve been waiting for someone to ask about that. :slight_smile: I’m no expert but I can tell you my experience and I’m sure other people have opinions too. Let’s do a separate topic.

I finally replaced my ~10 year old Mac Pro laptop with an 8 year old Xserve.
There may be something wrong with me, I know.
Regardless: SO MUCH faster, expansion, etc etc etc.
And it’s running 10.11.4!
And it was cheap!
And it works!

1 Like

I’m with ya man. I got 9+ years out of my last iMac before passing it on to someone who is still using it now, ‘upgraded’ it with a 2009 iMac 24" I got for $300 from a University salvage sale. Hoping to (eventually replace the HDD with a solid state and upgrade the RAM) and use this for at least another 10 years.

I think there is something wrong with people who replace perfectly serviceable _________ with newer shinier just because their friends do.

3 Likes

I think there are as many preferences for boots as there are for…feet.

I got a pair of Scarpa Terra GTX maybe 3 years ago as I was planning on going to Cuba and wanted to do some hiking while I was out there. They are simply amazeballs. They’re Goretex, really light but supporting and (unlike most walking boots and particularly unlike most leather walking boots) really flexible. They seem to be made on a soft foam scaffold so you cinch them down as tight as you want them and they conform to your foot really nicely. Since this is unlike many walking boots and I have mutant feet (not necessarily happy), these boots rapidly became my favourite footwear and I have just about worn out the tread on the heels by using them on pavements all the time. I would definitely get another pair.

I remember @penguinchris has solid recommendations in this area. He is/was a field geologist, and knows from uncomfortable feet.

1 Like

I replaced this

with this

5 Likes

@ActionAbe I have actually been considering the past few weeks picking up a pair of the boots @tekna2007 got (at least I think they’re the same), they’re by Vasque, the St. Elias model. My old pair is also from Vasque, a similar model, and they were great - I actually have no particular reason to replace them even though I got them 10+ years ago (I don’t use them much anymore, haven’t been in the field in a while) except that I left them at my parents’ house on the other side of the country.

I have looked at the Scarpas too as @AnonyMouse got (they cost about the same, $200 or so). Based on that description, I’m going to look into those more because they sound interesting.

As has been said already though, it’s a very personal thing - you have to find something that fits as perfectly as possible and it’s very possible (quite likely in fact) that some entire brands won’t work for you. Same with other kinds of shoes. I have exceptionally symmetrical feet… according to a hiking boot salesman who measured my feet one time… but my right foot is slightly larger and with both feet the heel protrusion I think is shallow because in 75%+ of shoes I try my heels rub (and with most modern styles it never really breaks in, at least not in a reasonable amount of time). I’m hesitant to try a new kind of boot because of that, but then again I have no idea if new Vasques are going to fit exactly the same since it’s been so long since I got my old ones.

3 Likes