This guy cut open some Carhartt boots and was disappointed in what he found

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/12/this-guy-cut-open-some-carhartt-boots-and-was-disappointed-in-what-he-found.html

5 Likes

Are they at least cheap, or does the brand name command a premium that makes things even more unfair? These days I have to wonder.

32 Likes

Welcome to today’s “capitalism.” Try to find quality products. Just try. It’s almost impossible.

22 Likes

TBH, I’ve never been impressed with anything from Carhartt other than the canvas pants. Even the first jacket I had, which seemed to be constructed of the same material wore out way too fast. They definitely seem to fall into the brand loyalty category.

OTOH, I was happy to see his positive comments on Blundstones. I’ve been wearing them for years and, before they blew up, I could find them for as low as $125. I went through three pair before I found Obenauf’s. My work absolutely destroys leather, but Obenauf’s has allowed me to keep my latest pair for ca. 6 years before the sole finally wore through.

4 Likes

Interview with Mr. Bandsaw Blade:

Interviewer: “Well…?”
Mr. Blade: "Truly sucked. Easiest job… ever!!!"

3 Likes

It’s perfectly possible to find quality products; you just have to know what to look for, and buy.

7 Likes

I think the point is that not everybody is an expert in everything they need to buy, and price and brand name are no longer any indicator of quality, and - worse - many brands pretend to offer quality while cynically knowing they do not.

31 Likes

He says in the video that they are $150 which is a good price for a good work boot. But these aren’t good work boots. He further says that if they were like half price, say $80, they might be an ok deal.

9 Likes

It’s in the last 40 seconds of the video that the real star of the show makes an appearance.

11 Likes

Reminds me of the Doc Martens that my then-wife wore to England on our honeymoon back in the nineties. They developed a problem, so we went to a cobbler. We got laughed out of the shop. “Those aren’t shoes!”

11 Likes

To go on a tangent here; they don’t sell boots, but as an alternative to Carhartt for some other things, I just want to plug Roundhouse Jeans. Cheaper, as good, and everything is US made.

AND, the double kneed duck cloth jeans don’t have rivets, which can mark up walls and car doors if you’re not careful. :wink:

6 Likes

That’s one odd looking moggie. Evidently waiting for its servant to open that fine, yellow sitting box.

6 Likes

My opinion: Carhartt targets the central midwest w/ “traditional” (say to the '70s) looking American clothes but they are heavy cotton and wear out faster than Beans. now they’re even made in China. They do look good for High school & designer cowboys.

4 Likes

Can’t get away from cats on YouTube even if you were to try. Pick any topic, a cat shows up. Yesterday’s skateboarding documentary? Cat. Today’s work boot review video? Cat.

2 Likes

I really enjoy videos like this where somebody who’s much more informed than I am about what helps make a particular kind of thing a quality product dissects an obviously poor-quality product and explains in very helpful detail just why it’s not a quality product. Thank you for sharing.

11 Likes

Vibram soles or GTFO. (And Yorkshire Gold tea.)

5 Likes

The blue-collar workers in Antarctica call themselves Carhartts. (As opposed to the scientists, whom they call Beakers.) They wear Carhartt everything, except for boots. Now we know why.

6 Likes

Tomorrow’s cat vivisection: cat.

2 Likes

Great, these guys have my preferred cut (slim cowboy cut) for cheap, but the sizes stop where my size begins. Feh.

Work boots wear out fast, and they get filthy, don’t pay a lot for them.

Jesus I must be old, I paid that for Norwegian welt hiking boots that I can replace the soles on, and still grumbled about paying that much.

2 Likes