I got a shirt that is supposed to stay clean for months without washing it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/19/i-got-a-shirt-that-is-supposed.html

5 Likes

21 Likes

I wonder if it could work for bed linen?

7 Likes

what about sweat then?

2 Likes

So, all your spilled drinks and condiments roll right off onto your pants.

21 Likes

All the fluids would just pool on top of the sheets…

5 Likes

Sounds nice but I seriously doubt the treatment lasts the lifetime of the shirt. They don’t mention durability on their site or on kickstarter:

http://filium.com/

I’ve previously had very nice DWR treated clothes that repelled all liquids like that, but that treatment wears off with time and you can never reapply it as well as in the factory.

7 Likes

Protip: Just because the shirt doesn’t need washing, don’t skip on baths and showers.

20 Likes

WTF is wrong with you people?

Yeah, I have two DWR (one Gore-Tex, one Omni-Tech) rain parkas, and both of em act like terry cloth now. I tried reapplying on one but that only turned it into a ten-minute rain parka.

1 Like

So then you buy pants made of the same material, but then your shoes stain. So new shoes. Then it runs onto your carpet so new carpet…

12 Likes

I got a shirt that is supposed to stay clean for months without washing it

9eOjD

12 Likes

“A good science fiction story should be able to predict not the automobile but the traffic jam.” ~ Frederik Pohl

24 Likes

adulting is hard

2 Likes

I knew a guy in college who did that. Don’t.

2 Likes

You need to wash them, regularly. And then re-apply some hydrophobic coating. Don’t use Fluor-based stuff, though: it’s environmental footprint is shit.

3 Likes

So I clicked on the links that @asdasdetc provided (thanks, have a virtual :beer:) to find out how this works, but all I found out is that Filium is a “non-nano, non-toxic” AWR. Which is nice, but doesn’t really answers any questions.
Is there anyone around on BB with a good knowledge of textile finishes?

Also, there is this:

3 Likes

4 Likes

What about solids? Plain old grime and dirt? Don’t they get ground into the fabric?

1 Like

And, in my experience, rarely worth the trouble.

15 Likes