'I Have Waited for a Revolution My Entire Life' — Keke Palmer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/09/i-have-waited-for-a-revoluti.html

8 Likes

Every time I see her name all I can think is ke-ke-ke-ke-ke-ke-ke-ke-ke-ke-ke-ke-ke-ke-ke-ke.

2 Likes

ONE MORE TIME FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK! Amen.

8 Likes

Now if only we could teach otherwise fairly decent white people who are discovering racism exists and is bad (for the first time) that republicans have been exploiting racism for decades.

4 Likes

Definitely a struggle.
On some level, they are aware that their white privilege is basically the source of all the comforts in their lives; without it, the would have to struggle to live anywhere near as comfortably as they do, competing with “others” for the same resources. So what’s the benefit to them of giving up the system in place, when they already have what they want?
It’s mostly a matter of explaining that, with less resources wasted on suppressing riots (food riots, rent riots, police brutality riots, the list goes on) and devoted to preventing the problems that create such riots in the first place, then everyone’s lives will improve dramatically.
It’s mostly a question of getting past their ingrained insistence that “there will always be some inequalities, so I might as well stay at the top”. That’s demonstrably not true, but again: they won’t accept it without a LOT of persuasion, tailored to each individual. Because the system has straightjacketed their minds since their birth, and arguably has done the same for the last two hundred years or more…

5 Likes

I have waited for a revolution, I believe, my entire life.

All twenty six years of it.

When I was that age, I thought myself wise with the wisdom of the centuries, too.

I suspect that a very significant part of her upbringing included stories of the struggles of her parents… and grandparents, and their parents. This issue has been building for well over three centuries.

1 Like

Fair point, and point taken.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.