I installed this Smart Wi-Fi garage door opener in a few minutes

Dude, I’ve seen your garage. No one thinks it is sexy. MINE, on the other hand, got some real trunk junkin’ going on

Yeah, we also live in a neighborhood where I won’t leave my garage door up even if I’m just going back and forth to the back yard. and ditto on the friends storing things deal

Well yeah, sure you could go that route too but things like garage doors don’t need to be operable from anywhere on Earth do they?

Missing in all this talk is just how absolute shit the factory supplied openers are, with supposed 4096 bit encryption and other lies.

Something between the Craftsman remote and hot mess of IOT would do the job too.

Did you find a solution to the opener you are happy with?

I haven’t settled on one yet, but I did install an alarm sensor so I know if the door is open or closed (I’m the kind of person who second guesses closing the garage door all the way and has to go back for a second look).

There are going to be people that this tech is going to be very useful for because of specific reasons and it will be a daily convenience for them. Then there are others who have zero need for it and I understand why it would be difficult for them to apply value to a product they don’t need.

1 Like

As @jaded already indicated you can do some pretty neat automations with smart home integrations.

If you have an iPhone you can use NFC stickers combined with Shortcuts to make an simple “open garage” switch. Stick an NFC tag somewhere in your car, tap your phone against it when in your driveway - door opens.
Or use geofencing - create an automation to close your door when your smart phone leaves your home (and open it when you return).

The 1970ies.
(Not counting HAL, of course.)

1 Like

I haven’t made a change, still doing it the awkward way. Frying other fish, for now

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.