The Motorola Smart Safe lets you monitor and open it remotely

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/13/the-motorola-smart-safe-lets-y.html

The Motorola Smart Safe solves that problem elegantly, and it certainly doesn’t sacrifice security to do it.

tenor (1)

19 Likes

Holy crap! From the title I thought for sure this was a genuine BoingBoing author post exposing yet another IoT piece of crapware as insecure and easily opened by children. But, no. It’s actually BoingBoing Store selling an IoT piece of crapware that is likely easily opened by children. :open_mouth:

Yeah, a “safe” with at least three different exploits (not counting hardware)…

Edit:

It is a re-badged version of this over priced ABS plastic “safe” you can open by just hitting with a firm smack of your hand:

Can’t sacrifice what it doesn’t have in the first place :-/

You can buy the original version, the iKeyp, in both the bolt down version and the expanding wings version on Amazon for less than the “discounted” price of the Motorola badged version being sold in the BBS. But I’d say you shouldn’t buy either as they are overpriced crap that gives a false sense of security.

20 Likes

Let me know when lockpickinglawyer has had a go at it!

19 Likes

I wish there was a proper epithet to express how fucking amazingly stupid this is, and how much worse off my life is now to have even seen it.

19 Likes

But that’s where we kept all the Boing Boing CMS credentials … OHHHH

34 Likes

I think it’s beneath him, in view of @Skeptic 's video.

6 Likes

Yeah, you don’t even need an orange juice bottle to open this one… :-/

7 Likes

A safe that can be opened remotely is no safe.

UPDATE: I figured it out; this item and this post must have been added by the hackers who broke into BBS on Friday. That explains it.

13 Likes

#toosoon

14 Likes

From what I’ve heard about how Lenovo is running Moto these days, this isn’t terribly shocking.

1 Like

The Motorola Smart Safe lets you script kiddies monitor and open it remotely.

FTFY.

Crikey, what could possibly go wrong?

4 Likes

Monitor a safe
Watch paint dry

Seems like a misnomer, with both “smart” and “safe” in there.

4 Likes

LOL, WTF. Watching the video, I actually sat in shock for a minute before laughing, that’s so bad. Literally worse than a cheap tin lockbox. The only possible use is it warns you when someone steals it, but I imagine it doesn’t even warn you if someone opens it by smacking it.

This is just about in the “I just looked at it and it popped open” category; it’d be insulting to even suggest it to him.

To be fair, opening it remotely takes orders of magnitude more work than what’s required to open it in person, so no one will ever bother to do that if they want to steal something from it. (That’s not to say that people might not open it remotely, but they’d just be doing it to screw with the owner.)

4 Likes

Does someone need to activate the lockpickinglawyer signal?

2 Likes

Ah! A No True Scotch Safe argument!

5 Likes

Really gutsy to position this ad between two articles about hacking for fun and profit.

6 Likes

All those times you want people to get in your safe while you are not physically present? You mean never?

6 Likes

5 Likes