How to get into a safe without a paperclip

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/19/how-to-get-into-a-safe-without.html

5 Likes

Did you mean With a paper clip? :thinking:

2 Likes

Security is an illusion?

5 Likes

Fire safes primary function is to protect documents from fire and water. They’re not intended to be burglarproof.

31 Likes

No, this technique is specifically for those situations when you find yourself alone in an office at night without a paperclip, but with a circular saw.

21 Likes

what if the saw is made of paperclips?

9 Likes

[Insert @beschizza joke here]

12 Likes
5 Likes

This guy makes (admittedly odd and niche) EXCELLENT videos. He’s rapidly replaced hydraulic jack guy for me

1 Like

elfears2

12 Likes

14 Likes

14 Likes

2pcbui

38 Likes

33 Likes

Now how will I keep my precious moments figurines secure?

10 Likes

Calling this guy is another alternative if you live in SoCal:

5 Likes

“Hey, we got safely out of Nazi Germany with only the help of a Paperclip.”

9 Likes

I feel like this is a prime example of unrealistic expectations. Looking at the SentrySafe site, this appears to be the model SF123ES fire safe which, while sporting what SentrySafe deems their “Maximum Protection”, is also a safe that runs $100-$200.

Meanwhile, burglar safes at the Safe & Vault store start at $260 (which they claim to be a markdown from the original $460 price).

We’ve all heard that you get what you pay for, and we have more product research and comparison tools now than at any previous point in history with which to test that. If one purchases this SentrySafe and is upset that one can get into it with tools anyone can pick up at Home Depot and no training, I think that’s on the buyer.

2 Likes

I think his primary argument is that the marketing/styling would easily lead the uniformed to believe this firebox is something that it’s not (e.g. a safe).

9 Likes

The Sentry safe shown is a fire safe with inner and outer layers of thin sheet metal to support the fireproofing mortar; it’s not designed for security, it’s designed to prevent your valuable documents from being incinerated. A burglary safe is a different animal; you can’t slice through heavy steel plate with a typical hand held power saw.
I’ve seen fire safes opened with a couple of pry bars to bend the folded metal bolts and warp the frame. I attended the site of a B&E where the thieves pounded a hole through the safe with a sledge hammer. The sheet metal tore like tissue paper and the mortar crumbled to powder.

10 Likes