I loved "A Wizard's Guide To Defensive Baking"

Originally published at: I loved "A Wizard's Guide To Defensive Baking" | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Violence in the kitchen, please no that ain’t love’n from the oven.

4 Likes

Read it a year or two back. Was just looking for a light read between heavier books, and it ended up being one of my favorite books I read that year. Wonderful characters, excellent humor and drama and suspense, loved the stuffins out of it. After this and “The Twisted Ones,” I consider almost anything Kingfisher/Vernon writes to be a must-read.

7 Likes

YES!!!

Full disclosure: I’ve known Ursula (T. Kingfisher) for a long time and have had the pleasure of dinner with her and her husband Kevin when I’ve visited (former) family in North Carolina. I’m not kidding when I say they were part of my mental safety net when visiting, a very firm bit of “My People!” in a place that now feels so foreign to me, despite having grown up there. She and Kevin are officially good people, so yeah, I might be a little biased on this!

However, I can’t praise her writing enough even without that connection. This is a well written book, great characters, and perhaps a nice dose of practical social philosophy. The author’s notes include an interesting look at her efforts to get this story published; some publishers seeing it as too dark for a children’s book, but ultimately lacking any other category for marketing. There may be some commentary about the failure of the concept of market demographics to be had there, of course.

21 Likes

If you enjoy books about magical bread stuffs, check out Sourdough by Robin Sloan.

1 Like

I haz a jealous. I’m sad to be missing this year’s JoCo Cruise because she will be one of the featured guests (even though a cruise is about negative eleventy on my must-do list). I might catalog this in Young Adult, but that means an excellent piece of writing would likely get repeatedly overlooked. Her juvenile writing is equally as good; I love Harriet the Hamster Princess and Castle Hangnail.

9 Likes

Added to my list.

1 Like
3 Likes

At this point in her career, anything Ursula Vernon/T Kingfisher (she uses both for her various writing lines) publishes is a must-read for me. She just consistently puts out solid, entertaining books.

(I really would love to see “The Twisted Ones” optioned for a thriller film…)

3 Likes

Pratchett’s Dwarves are experts in Offensive Baking, for example forging the Scone of Stone.

https://wiki.lspace.org/Dwarf_Bread

3 Likes

I read the post, added the book to my “to- read” list. (Jason’s recommendations have served me well). Then i came to the BBS, read your comment and i was like “hey, i am going on the JoCo cruise!”

I probably wouldn’t have made any connection without you pointing it out.

1 Like

killen#1

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.