I prefer Gum Soft-Picks to flossing

Exactly - the real issue is cleaning where the tooth meets the gum below the gum line. These picks can help clean between teeth, but will leave a lot of the problem areas untouched. With tightly spaced teeth, a threader (or threader style floss) might also be needed, because a pick that is too large can easily get stuck. GUM brushes have a metal core, which is not fun to remove if it snaps and can poke gums in hard to see areas.

2 Likes

The advanced version works best for me too. I have a couple of very tight spaces between my teeth. My dentist and periodontist love these GUM pics my perio-checkups are better and better.

2 Likes

I have a similar problem, even after braces. A combination of water flosser, threader floss, and ultra tight GUM brushes for the gaps works for me. :grin:

2 Likes

I am just going to echo again what you said .I think it was 3 or 4 years ago when someone here suggested a water pick because I hated to floss.

In 3 years time, I finally got dental insurance and finally went in for a cleaning. I had periondontal disease. Basically a lack of flossing and professional cleaning let little microbes set up shop under my gums and they started eating away the bone around the tooth. The nice thing about this disease is it is painless - you just start losing teeth.

Fortunately, we got to it early. I had two deep cleaning sessions where they numb you up and get in there, cleaning out your pockets between the tooth and gum. I spent a bout a year and a half or 2 years going back every 4 months. I did have a couple fillings (thanks Obama… I mean, drugs that gave me dry mouth), and there was one problem area they had to go back and reclean.

But my pockets went from up to 7mm to the normal 1 or 2 now. They are light pink and no bleeding, and I just had a cleaning last week and my hygienist said, “I wish everyone’s teeth were as clean as yours.”

So I really didn’t CHANGE anything as far as care frequency. I just used better tools - with an electric toothbrush, and the water pick. The pick is not only faster, IMO, but easier to use and more pleasant. I know that technically it isn’t as good as flossing, but it does a much better job than nothing at all.

So if anyone is ignoring the bit of blood when they brush or just want to keep not thinking about it, I am telling you you can make a 180 change with the right tools and having your hygienist give you a fresh start with a deep cleaning. Do it not just your teeth, but your health, as there is evidence dental problems can cause other problems, including stuff with your heart.

I am not being paid by the ADA or Waterpik, but if they want to sponsor me…

5 Likes

I use these gum soft-picks sporadically. They usually last me one or two weeks, depending on how often I actually remember to use them, and I properly dispose of them.

I would rather not use disposable plastic but it does seem to do a much better job then the wooden toothpicks. And you have to wonder, how many dental work would it take to offset a lifetime of using these? I mean the environmental impact of filling a cavity must be significantly higher then a 100 pack of these gum-picks right? Not to mention the costs of some of the more serious possible outcomes described by @mister44.

I’m seriously considering a waterpik as a solution that wins on both fronts, so thanks all for bringing this up again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wait. I’m confused. How does filling a cavity harm the environment? Ha.

I swear by regular Glide floss for those tight teeth and Gum 3d White Glide floss/picks for the teeth with wider gaps. Important part is to brush teeth 2X/day and floss at least once.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.