I take it back – New Media isn't a cargo cult. Click here to find out why!

[Read the post]

1 Like

Having one in 650 visitors pay for the book doesn’t seem too bad, to my mind. Especially as they’re voluntarily paying for access rather than having a copy of their own. The site could vanish tomorrow, and no-one who paid would have a copy of the book.

For the rest of us, well, I just did the equivalent of leafing through the book in the bookshop to see if there was anything that appealed to me enough to buy it. If I had to pay for every book I picked up in a bookshop, I would have even less room in my flat, and be even less able to find the books I want to read.

3 Likes

(Unrelated note: have you checked out the Boing Boing store yet today? There’s a sale on mechanical keyboards, chunky black glasses, and pomade.)

[snicker]

7 Likes

Yeah, that conjured up such a picture-perfect image of the typical Boing Boing stuff, and the person that likes all that, that I just hadda go to the store. Charm. Dangerous stuff.

2 Likes

I love it; it’s the first resource on typography that I’ve actually enjoyed reading.

Get a copy of Bringhurst’s The Elements of Typographic Style. It’s informative, interesting, and beautiful to look at and hold.

2 Likes

The whole point of the chains is to prevent you taking the books on the subway.

1 Like

“New Media” is a metaphor. It’s not actually new, it’s not actually the media, it’s the fresh synergy, the new interactions that are possible.

“Cargo Cult” is another metaphor. You can use it with “New Media” and make some sense with it, only if everyone already knows exactly what you’re talking about.

Try piling on a bunch of other metaphors to show how clever you are, and the audience quickly self-selects to be the ones who already agree with you. To everyone else outside the joke, you sound like an episode of that ancient Saturday morning show, Make a Wish

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.