I tried a reader recommended $31 fountain pen

Those are great, but the Lamy Safari was ubiquitous throughout grades 5 to 13 when I was in school. I am not sure I could handle the flashbacks now.

3 Likes

looked it up, watched some videos, learned something new. thanks.

2 Likes

I like the Lamy Safari in that price range. Graphite color.

2 Likes

https://www.lamy.com/eng/b2c/safari/018

Comes in other colors.

General advice:

Generally speaking, go for a stiffer nib as you are going to be pushing rather than pulling. Stiff nibs suffer less ink starvation when pushing. Also use a quick drying ink to avoid smudges like Noodler’s Bernanke.

3 Likes

When i write lefty i use a very low elevation and have no problems. I have a friend who’s lefty but writes like he’s ripping open a box with an X-Acto knife. He has broken one of my pens with the way he writes.

2 Likes

Take a look at the Pilot Kakuno I recommend in another comment. It’s actually designed for Japanese children to introduce them to fountain pens (hence the variety of colors).

1 Like

I suspect you are German; no one used a fountain pen at all in my US schools.

3 Likes

I’d much rather have that Rotring in the background. Now that’s a nice pen.

I’ve had a Yellow Lamy Safari on me for 9 years, carried with me every day!
Its the best $35 fountain pen ever!! I swear!
I even mixed my own ink color by mixing Some Lamy Green with Lamy Black.

Its also one of the only fountain pens with two line-weights When you write on the regular side it’s thick, when you write on the top-side its half width which comes in hand when sketching or writing small notes. ****

4 Likes

Amazon tells me a a set of 7 multicolored Pilot Varsities should be at my home tomorrow. It’s less than $2/pen.

2 Likes

Hey @blaisepascal, if you bought a Platinum Preppy and a Platinum converter, you could use

:wink:

2 Likes

I just tried out the Pilot Parallel Pens in Milan and they’re really cool. A set for @ $24 or $8 per.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.