I want to teleport to 2009 at the Concord Mall parking lot

Originally published at: I want to teleport to 2009 at the Concord Mall parking lot | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Kids is cute.

2 Likes
4 Likes

That would be time travel. And time travel is no good.

1 Like

I should check out Bo Burnham. Seems like solid advice.

2 Likes

“Hamsters is nice”:
___________Kaylee Frye

1 Like

The preview says enough sort of a prepewdiepie…

1 Like

As long as they stay off my lawn.

3 Likes

Woooooh!

1 Like

Wooooooh Woooow!

1 Like

By 2009 most of the people I associated with had a style similar to this, but it was it’s own distinct thing and attached to the hardcore metal scene. The depicted folks could occasionally be spotted attending the same venues we’d be going to, but not in large numbers. Some mix of this stuff was what we wore:

1 Like

It’s no Heavy Metal Parking Lot

(or maybe it is…)

1 Like

2009, the beginning of the twilight of the mall era. I used to sell at collectible shows in malls back in their heyday. Friday was definitely the teen meeting night at the malls.
I remember a couple times being in different malls in New Jersey and Pennsylvania when kids would do this thing where they would all gather at one end of the mall in front of Sears or whatever and run screaming to the other end of the mall. No kidding! Some would fall down and get run over, they would knock over people that got in the way…they could barely be controlled by the ineffectual Mall cops.
Many malls started curfews on Fridays where kids weren’t allowed in the mall unless they were with a parent.
I bet a lot of those malls wish those kids (The ones with money in their pockets anyway) would come back.

1 Like

i guess im old (is 44 old now??) but like 12 years ago seems like yesterday and not worth the bother of time travel.

2 Likes

Initial Thoughts:

• the aesthetic in this video feels more akin to 2001-2006ish
  • from my perspective, most people I grew up with switched from MySpace ~2006-8
  • warp tour was awesome, EDM was a plauge that swept over the music I grew up with (i.e. stuff from Tony Hawk video games mostly)
  • by 2008 I started seeing hipsters (fixed-gear bikes, cut-off jeans, vinal collections, ect.), so to see these kids in 2009 feels like they were behind the fads a little?
  • I feel like people stopped hanging out in malls in the late 90s, but I guess maybe it depends on where you lived in the US.
1 Like

I’m not ready for 2009 nostalgia.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.