I wish "Oppenheimer" had ignited the atmosphere

I’m not trying to dim “Twilight’s” sparkle—just couldn’t get into it. But hey, $3 billion in the bank? Clearly, someone’s loving the glow.

3 Likes

I believe that’s over all 3 films, but yeah, it had a fan base. So? Lots of not so great films have a solid fanbase. The transformers has brought in like over 5 billion worldwide, the Fast and Furious franchise over 7 billion… all three series were generally speaking not critical favorite, but had plenty of popular support… as @danimagoo noted, people enjoyed them enough to go see them in the theater.

I’m just curious as to why you picked that series, when it’s not much of a comparison, in terms of the type of films we’re discussing here. Oppenheimer is a serious historical drama, Twillight was a fantasy series aimed at women and girls… :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Simply the first movie that came to mind that I absolutely hated that everyone else I know seemed to go ape#%^* over.

I also enjoyed the dichotomy of it.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I remember being basically accepting of the hate directed towards Twilight without knowing much about it. Looking back, the things I did know was that the vampires sparkled in sunlight and who the biggest audience for the books were. So it was girly, and I accepted all of the derision because of misogynistic gatekeeping of my fantasy/sci-fi nerdscape. That’s the kind of shit I want to purge from my being. And identifying it is one of the reasons I keep reading the BBS.

ETA: I guess that I still don’t know if Twilight is any good or not, but there’s a lot of other stuff I want to read and watch first, so it will probably remain a mystery for me. Same with Oppenheimer. I like some of Nolan’s work, but after hearing some of the reviews and criticism, it’s not moving up on my watchlist.

6 Likes

My uncle worked on that movie and sent t-shirts to my sister and me to wear on opening day. I recall distinctly when leaving the theater that I was glad I had a jacket to cover the t-shirt; I was mortified to appear to be a Howard fan.

5 Likes

The fact is Oppenheimer was very confused in his politics in reality, and this was covered in the film. He wanted to be both the insider, privy to top secret information, while at the same time be a noble public intellectual like Einstein who could take the high moral ground on issues. He had to pick one. And he didn’t.

19 Likes

We’ll put this reviewer down as “somewhat satisfied.” In a review filled with some rather hot takes, there are more than a couple of puzzlers.

This is by far the best scene in the movie and played completely seriously, à la Leslie Nielsen in Airplane .

I’ll admit to being baffled by this passage. Is this irony doubling back on itself to roll its eyes at Oppenheimer’s quote?

Should we be cheering on another chapter of bigger, better bomb development?

I don’t know with what audience Ms. Dressed saw this movie, but if it made anyone in the audience feel like cheering, I’d be asking some serious questions.

Are the Japanese a moot footnote in the larger picture of American military imperialism?

It’s surprising when someone is surprised that not every story is about every aspect of every thing.

12 Likes

Kinda off topic- but if you haven’t seen it, see Nimona.
ETA: it’s on Netflix

7 Likes

Can’t wait for Ms. Dressed’s takedown of Martin Short.

9 Likes

It’s weird how many ppl think Oppenheimer was supposed to be about the bombs and not Oppenheimer.
It was a story about him told mostly from his perspective.

17 Likes

The whole 117 year old vampire stalking/dating a high school girl is hard to overlook…

6 Likes

Sounds like a valid criticism. Gross! Now at least I have justification for ignoring it beyond my own deep-seated bias. Thanks?

2 Likes

If they wanted that they should watch “Fatman and LIttle Boy” which was actually about the bombs.

11 Likes

one cannot help but love a movie review with a line such as this.

( although i’m biased in that while i love murphy, nothing about the trailer seemed particularly compelling to me and i doubt i’ll ever see the movie )

it reads to me as a call out not about nolan per se, but the semi breathless media coverage of dunkirk’s “they were real explosions” practical effects

5 Likes

You are spot on with Interstellar and Nolan.

I’m poked fun of by my coworkers because I’m not a fan of Nolan. You give me hope that there are more like me out there.

2 Likes

Interstellar put so much time and energy into simulating the physics of space travel that they forgot to give it a plot.

I’m Nolan agnostic myself. I’ve loved 50% of his movies and hated the rest.

6 Likes

Anybody have a tl;dr summary?

1 Like

I can’t, I recommend reading it. I found it entertaining and it took much less than 3 hours. I feel like I gained the difference in time saved from watching the movie.

3 Likes

Mathew McConaughey was too busy explaining the basics of astrophysics to astrophysicists.

5 Likes

And honestly there were some pretty big holes in the physics too, such as “frozen clouds” on a planet with Earth-like air pressure or giant “mountains” of water moving across the surface of a planet that somehow have only minimal effect on the currents of the knee-high water where the characters are standing.

Not to mention how ridiculous it is to have a boxy robot fly a spaceship by manually manipulating the flight stick designed for human use instead of just plugging into a data port or connecting via Bluetooth or something.

11 Likes