I wish "Oppenheimer" had ignited the atmosphere

Originally published at: I wish "Oppenheimer" had ignited the atmosphere | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I’m sorry you didn’t like the Movie™️.

I found the tropes insightful, the metaphors accessible, and the focus on McCarthyism relevant.

I did, however, hate the movie Twilight which everyone else seemed to think was great.

24 Likes

Turns out, drama aside, the real heavy lifting was done by Oak Ridge Labs in creating all that plutonium and enriched uranium. A step the Nazis never got past.

One A-bomb design was considered so certain they didn’t bother testing it. (The “gun design” of Little Boy)

To this day, its not the lack of Oppenheimers which limits nuclear proliferation, its lack of effective equivalents to Oak Ridge. Getting the fissile material.

15 Likes

Movie reviewer surprised when actual atomic bomb not used in making of film :roll_eyes:

17 Likes

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

20 Likes

Have there been no other films between Twillight and Oppenheimer? :thinking:

14 Likes

I’m 99.9% sure that’s sarcasm. Or at least exaggeration.

This is maybe the harshest review of Oppenheimer I’ve seen. I have not seen the movie yet. I may end up agreeing with this review, who knows. Nolan films are a bit hit and miss with me. I loved the Dark Knight. I have never been able to watch Inception without falling asleep after about 30 minutes. Tenet was a really interesting idea that I think just slightly missed the mark. I thought Interstellar was ridiculous. I will probably wait for Oppenheimer to come out on whatever streaming service it ends up on and make my judgment then.

12 Likes

I loved the movie Bumblebee which was finally a goddamn fun “Transformers” movie. Others didn’t think it was great. Go figure.

5 Likes

I have to say “Howard the Duck” wasn’t very good

10 Likes

I think it’s safe to leave that unsaid at this point. This thread went off the rails so quickly. I’m honestly impressed!

6 Likes

I think there were about 15 fast and furious movies.

6 Likes

I realize that the movie was a biopic based on a book, and therefore focused on Oppenheimer himself rather than the whole Manhattan project, but still, my biggest disappointment in the film was that it really didn’t get into the nitty gritty science and logistical challenges much at all. I guess there are other movies and documentaries that do that though.

I think the film really could have spent less time focusing on the 1959 Senate confirmation hearings for a Secretary of Commerce nominee.

6 Likes

So why pick on Twillight?

You mean people might have differing opinions on cinema! /shocked! :laughing:

Also, I don’t know about the rest of you, but I don’t remember everyone loving Twillight and there being just a plucky few who bravely stood against the tide of bad taste… I remember the films getting critically panned, and lots of dudes hating on those movies and writing kind of annoying “think pieces” about why it was “bad”… Funny how the most bile is often spewed out for films that are for young women?

10 Likes

Probably making fun of how he blew up a real airplane for Tenet.

6 Likes

Who cares if the movie was any good- this was a great write-up, just for us!

4 Likes

I liked it, but I was also 16. I actually got free tickets to see it from a local radio station because I called up to ask “What’s a ‘Howard the Duck?’” when the DJ announced the upcoming call in opportunity. (Yeah, that’s right – the contest was rigged! That’s ok, I actually already knew about HtD anyway, so it was rigged all around.)

10 Likes

There are all of two minutes total dealing with the actual effects of the atom bomb, which, let’s face it, is why the audience is sitting in the theater in the first place.

Was it?

19 Likes

Twilight has gotten more online hate that just about any other film series I’m aware of. I think that’s why smulder called the comment out as bait. I don’t hate or love them. I think they’re ok. They’re entertaining, which I’m pretty sure is the primary purpose of most movies.

10 Likes

It wasn’t for me, but honestly films, especially in the genre of fantasy or sci-fi, aimed at girls or women tend to get more hate than other films

18 Likes

Truth Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

14 Likes