The first image for Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer is here

Originally published at: The first image for Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer is here | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Please tell me that Rami Malek is playing Richard Feynman.

7 Likes

Too bad Mr. Joseph Oppenheimer won’t show up.

7 Likes

Genius getting Cillian Murphy to play Oppenheimer…

And his famous quote…

I found this quote too, which is less bleak…

Looking forward to it!

17 Likes

I love Nolan’s cinematography and editing, when it’s good its good. But he also seems fairly antagonistic in making certain choices for his films and generally speaking the story beats for his movies (and the dialogue audio) haven’t been his strongest points.

Hoping that a biopic would focus his attention more on delivering a solid story, but as of now i find it hard to get too excited but i will wait until at least a trailer is out before i totally write this off.

7 Likes

Welcome to Interzone.

6 Likes
10 Likes

He’s definitely more style over substance. I’m sure this film will be visually interesting, but am not optimistic about telling Oppenheimer’s story.

4 Likes

I love Nolan, but I found Tenet to be a mess.

A beautiful mess, but a mess none the less. Still, when he’s on his game, he’s one of the best directors in the field.

4 Likes

Interstellar was sort of the beginning of the end for my interest in him, there were a lot of bits to the movie that were interesting but it seemed pretentious and the story wasn’t developed all that well. When i saw the reporting on all of the complaints about Tenet i just didn’t bother to watch it.

Of course i don’t want any film to fail so i hope this biopic works for Nolan, but i’m keeping expectations for it pretty low.

5 Likes

I agree.

Tenet is…experimental. That’s the best thing I can say about its narrative. He tries to write the script in reverse by putting character motivation at the end to prompt a rewatch. It almost worked for me, but I remembered how little I enjoyed the beginning of the flick.

Dunkirk was pretty rugged, though.

5 Likes

I dug Dunkirk but felt that the editing really fought against making the movie more accessible. My overall experience was pretty positive and would rewatch, but i would struggle to recommend to friends who just want to enjoy a movie. It’s probably more geared towards people who take cinematography more seriously.

4 Likes

Anyone else hoping this picture is a musical/comedy?
\s

4 Likes

Or maybe Oppenheimer will pull a razor out of his hat and blind someone. Einstein perhaps? /s

4 Likes

Nukey Blinders.

11 Likes
2 Likes

Something tells me there’s going to be a shitload of smoking in this film. I expect boxes of prop ciggies (with maybe a touch of cgi) to be gone through.

5 Likes

It’s beginning to sound like I was one of the few who enjoyed Tenet and its ‘layered’ action and storyline.

4 Likes

I didn’t hate it. I just found it incredibly inaccessible at points.

I’m a big character over plot person, and the characters in Tenet were so thin. Until the big reveal at the end of the movie, I felt nothing for everyone in the story.

I think that choice was intentional as Nolan put all of the storytelling elements that typically go in the first twenty minutes at the end. The ghost, the weakness/need, the iceberg opponent were all introduced and fleshed out like ten minutes before the film wrapped. Using that information in a rewatch would make a second viewing super compelling, but I feel like there are better ways to incentivize an audience to rewatch a film. Hell, Nolan has used better ways to force a rewatch in his own films.

The movie looked great, though. And, in this age of anodyne cinema, I celebrate any director that is willing to take risks- even if they don’t pan out.

3 Likes

Agreed :+1:

4 Likes