The first image for Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer is here

I just want to watch one of his movies and hear the dialogue - but apparently that’s too much to ask.

God only knows how loud his Trinity explosion will be - but I suspect it’ll be even noisier than the original.

3 Likes

Oppenheimer was a chain smoker and Cillian Murphy is a perfectionist, so yep, lots of cigarettes. You’ll probably get a smoker’s cough just watching it.

2 Likes
5 Likes

That’s very Metal.

6 Likes

That was the single best episode of the whole Twin Peaks sequel series. Just all around strange and weird, and I still don’t understand what happened, but I’m not sure I care.

5 Likes

Sounds like Tenet :grin:

4 Likes

It was kind of inexplicable, wasn’t it…

4 Likes

I think I enjoyed it? It seems like a cerebral movie that you’re not supposed to think about as it makes no sense if you do. Maybe Nolan made the story with the old cut-out and shuffle routine like William Burroughs :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

winona-thats-good-point

That makes far more sense than it should…

4 Likes

I recall Dunkirk being pretty good on that front but i have only seen it the one time in theaters :thinking: but yes, Nolan absolutely has an issue with balancing the overall sound of his movies against character dialogue.

1 Like

Thank you for that :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

@anon78706664 Dr Benway, I presume?

2 Likes

I can only assume that’s because his dad was involved with the project.

2 Likes

I couldn’t believe it received an academy award nomination for “best sound editing,” of all things. There were several key moments when that damn organ music was so loud you couldn’t hear the dialogue. Nolan says that was intentional but that definitely doesn’t make it less annoying.

https://www.cnn.com/2014/11/18/showbiz/movies/interstellar-sound-nolan/index.html

And yeah, some of the physics stuff was interesting (like a relatively realistic depiction of what a wormhole would look like) but there were plenty of plot points that didn’t make any sense.

I also enjoyed the nonlinearity of Tenet and Interstellar. I was prepared for both by Memento. Ever unlock the DVD Easter egg for Momento and watch it chronologically? It’s boring.

2 Likes

Dunkirk is also non-linear, though for that movie i’m not 100% the non-linear editing was necessary but i did like the movie so there’s that. But as i mentioned in a previous comment, i would be hard pressed to recommend the movie to a friend that just wanted to watch a movie vs one that is a film geek.

3 Likes

Nope… but only because I had been warned beforehand… and now again! :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Friends don’t let friends watch Memento chronologically. :wink:

3 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

This seems to be the historical reference

2 Likes