2014's "Manhattan" offered a longer retelling of Oppenheimer's story

Originally published at: 2014's "Manhattan" offered a longer retelling of Oppenheimer's story | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I was meaning to post about this series. I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned more since the movie came out. Worth watching.

5 Likes

Oppenheimer barely figures into the show, but it was an interesting fictionalized take on the Manhattan Project.

Currently available on Tubi

1 Like

We hates imax!

1 Like

Also, check out:

If you have criterion channel.

3 Likes

Another take is the BBC mini-series from 1980, starring Sam Waterston.

4 Likes

It’s currently streaming for free. Not sure how long that will last. I found its candid interviews with those who were there to be a refreshing and realistic counterpoint to the glitzy Hollywood take.

3 Likes

This docu is narrated by Paul Frees, alsomthe voice of Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion. Cross boingboing threads today.

3 Likes

It was really good. I’m sad it was cancelled prematurely.

3 Likes

and if you dont;

The Day After Trinity : Else, Jon, 1944- : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

3 Likes

It totally was, and same. Similar cut-short-at-season-two fate that so many of the great series of this era have befallen, like Strange Angel - with its various parallels.

Watching Oppenheimer it was fun to realize that Christopher Denham (Klaus Fuchs in O.) appears in both, and as essentially the same character, (though as a fictionalized variation in Manhattan).

2 Likes

So no dramatic Senate confirmation hearings for a Secretary of Commerce nominee in 1959 who wasn’t even part of the Manhattan project? Oh well.

1 Like

… and Colossus :robot:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.