Christopher Nolan thinks Oppenheimer is akin to a horror film

Originally published at: Christopher Nolan thinks Oppenheimer is akin to a horror film | Boing Boing

2 Likes

If they ever make a movie about Edward Teller, now that will be a horror movie.

6 Likes

no surprise

3 Likes

I’ve already got my tickets for this one. Very much looking forward to it.

I highly recommend the American Experience docu-drama about the AEC hearings.

3 Likes

Edward Teller is one of the figures in the movie but it’s unclear how big a role he plays in the central narrative yet.

4 Likes

Homegrown historians hold a grudge. I volunteer at a historic museum in a small northern NM town (two doors down from the Oppie house) and, while once pointed out it becomes obvious, but aside from a book or two in the shop there are no exhibits on Teller. Heck, we have Ulam’s desk on display, he was the mathematician that truly did the heavy lifting for the “super”, but nothing about that Hungarian egomaniac.

As I tell visitors, plan your opening day wisely - the Barbie movie also goes out that same day, probably (as cool as that might be) not on IMAX.

4 Likes

When I was freelancing, I used to also be an extra (“super”) at the Met Opera. I did several shows, but was just about to start rehearsals for Doctor Atomic, the John Adams opera about Oppenheimer when I got a fulltime job and had to quit. It’s apparently pretty chilling. I would’ve loved to be a part of it.

1 Like

My sense is that this film is a lot more about the AEC hearings than it is about the Manhattan Project itself – Lewis Strauss (Robert Downey Jr.) is getting second billing and he is the central figure in that part of the saga. May be the Black and White stuff is the hearings / Oppenheimer’s downfall, and the color segments the Manhattan Project.

I hope with the hearings they don’t make the mistake of putting the in some grand hearing room – they were conducted in one of those two (three?) story buildings in Temporary Building T - a rather dreary place.

3 Likes

I come from the future with a warning:

Title: Oppenheimer: A Traumatizing Journey with Life-Altering Consequences

Rating: ★☆☆☆☆

Christopher Nolan’s Oppenheimer takes audiences on a relentless and traumatizing journey that leaves viewers deeply scarred, with potentially life-altering consequences. This film delves into the dark and disturbing aspects of J. Robert Oppenheimer’s life and work, leaving a haunting impact that may linger long after leaving the theater.

Nolan himself has acknowledged the intense and emotionally draining nature of Oppenheimer. Early film screenings have reportedly left audience members devastated, struggling to cope with the film’s hardest-hitting material. It is not uncommon for people to leave the movie utterly shattered, unable to find solace or articulate their emotions. The psychological toll this movie inflicts is not to be underestimated.

Oppenheimer presents a stark and unrelenting darkness that permeates every scene, surpassing the boundaries of traditional storytelling. The weight of the film’s themes and events hangs heavily upon the viewer, triggering profound emotional distress and potentially causing long-lasting psychological trauma.

The impact of Oppenheimer goes far beyond a typical cinematic experience. It has the power to disrupt one’s sense of safety and stability, leading to debilitating effects on mental health. The film’s relentless portrayal of horror and despair can trigger a range of responses, including post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety disorders, depression, and even psychosis.

Witnessing Oppenheimer’s portrayal of historical events may leave viewers questioning their own existence, their purpose, and the very nature of humanity. This film has the potential to shatter one’s perception of the world and instill a deep-seated fear that lingers long after the credits roll.

It is crucial to question the wisdom of subjecting oneself to such an emotionally and psychologically distressing experience. While some may argue that art should challenge and provoke, Oppenheimer’s unyielding darkness pushes the boundaries of what can be considered a healthy artistic exploration.

In conclusion, Oppenheimer is a film that demands caution and consideration before viewing. Its relentless portrayal of darkness and horror can potentially traumatize viewers, leading to profound and life-altering consequences. Proceed with extreme caution, as the aftermath of this film may require extensive emotional support and professional help to recover from the psychological wounds inflicted.

1 Like
2 Likes

As an old GenX I’ve seen enough nuclear blasts in movies and know the story of Oppenheimer. I’m way more excited for the Barbie movie. (Hey it’s also an existential horror movie and looks like it is more fun)

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.