I would replace my Kindle Voyage with a Kindle Voyage

Nope. All Amazon books you buy are stored in the cloud for you to d/l to other devices or a replacement Kindle. I have a 5 or 6 year old Kindle Keyboard that I love. Still has great battery life. The keyboard was a great idea because that version of the Kindle had a “web browser” but that turned out to be awful, clunky and unusable. It also doesn’t require wifi to get purchased books, using 3 LTE instead. Hope it lasts for many more years.

3 Likes

I know this isn’t exactly what you asked, but https://calibre-ebook.com/ is an excellent piece of software that allows you to circumnavigate a lot of the issues around ebooks, the multiple formats and DRMs involved. The gist: If you’ve got a reader and a file formatted like an e-book of some sort, there’s a good chance calibre is going to be able to get the latter onto the former for you.

11 Likes

My husband just bought a cheap 7" tablet to read PDF articles from. The Kobo is total crap at displaying them and his phone is too small. He has found the tablet excellent for PDFs and e-books.

3 Likes

Nah. I’ve never bought any books for my e-reader. Just illegally download them. They are all saved in a folder on my laptop. Heck, I think that folder might be linked to my Google drive. That’s pretty good redundancy.

4 Likes

The current version of the oasis does away with that very ill advised battery cover thing, which totally sucked. The v2 oasis is much more recommendable as a device.

1 Like

I have the huge Kindle DX. I love the thing and loath the day that it finally gives up the ghost.

4 Likes

And add to this, that with your books you create YOUR space… and I’m talking about REAL space, of course. Sitting in your house confronted with a little flat device taring at you hold no candle to the feeling of excitement, coziness, adventure, belonging, possibilities, memories, social interactions, and the very feeling of home, that you get from sitting among your books. Your books are not just silly strings of 0s and 1s you’re unable to interact without turning on some gatekeeper device. Your books are there for you as soon as you touch them, as soon as you look at them, smell them.

Saying that books are full of bullshit that’s fixed by e-books is like saying that online chats replace human contact. Of course e-books are awesome in many situations. Travelling with a nice varied library, instead of a single bulky book is awesome, but you can’t replace one with the other. Both occupy different niches at the end of the day. Just like you can’t replace a hug from your loved ones with a screen, but a screen is awesome when at half a globe of distance. E-books are also nice for trying out new stuff, or reading things you don’t necessarily want to keep in your library, but I wouldn’t change the experience and value, even at a superficial aesthetic level, of a beautiful boxed edition of The Lord of The Rings for all the pretty kindle screens on the globe.

I would love to see e-book fans stop acting like your classic “dog-person”… you can love your dog without hating on cats, you know (a generalization, of course, so chill down dogos). I love my kindle, and I think I can love my books too.

9 Likes

Waterproof I like. The odd all the weight to one side is a good thing idea is still there tho.

I think Amazon is doing a good job introducing mild variation to allow for several products into a line that should not have room for it.

1 Like

I also got a Kindle Voyage about three years ago. I went from reading 3 books a year to 25+ books per year. I have an iPad but I much prefer reading on the Kindle to reading on the iPad. I don’t believe that Amazon has released any devices since the Voyage that surpasses it.

That being said, there are certain books where I prefer paper. Flipping through pages and highlighting and bookmarking are still at best just an approximation of what can be done with a paper book.

1 Like

I mean, I was kidding, but if you’re on a trip and your “books” are all on your Kindle, and you lose it you’ve lost all your books. Sure, you can re-download them, but I might as well say, “Well, I lost my paper book, but it exists in the ‘bookstore space’ and I just need to get a new one.”

3 Likes

Sure if the’bookstore space’ is your smartphone, and in your pocket. There is almost no effort to retreiving a book and updating to last page read between many devices. I flew home reading my book via the kindle app on my phone. Laptop would have worked as well.

5 Likes

hemp back books… a whole new world of easy reading.

2 Likes

The twitter headline associating paper book users with Wayne La Pierre is pretty damned insulting, and deserving of a retraction. (“Paper book afficionados are just one bit flipped from Wayne LaPierre.”)

I just found an ASUS tablet in my office, which I had forgotten about. If I can locate the weird charge cable, I might be able to do something with that. screen size is a pretty high priority for me, as I do spend a lot of time looking at old and obscure tech manuals and parts diagrams. Doing that on a phone would just be torture.

3 Likes

My husband needs to read graphs and tables and the tablet allows you to zoom in on those (which you can’t do easily on an e-reader) and also flip through whole pages easily as you can on an e-reader. I wouldn’t use a tablet for night reading as the light would interfere with melatonin production (you could wear amber lensed glasses to counteract that), but for day time technical reading I think a tablet is superior to an e-reader.

1 Like

To date I have read more books on my phone (even a kludgy smart phone from 2003) than I have on an eReader I have owned for 5 years. My phone is always at hand, and I find time in weird moments to read that way.

1 Like

I had exactly the same reasons for buying the Voyage instead of the Paperwhite. Previously I owned the Kindle 3 (the one with physical keyboard) and I loathed the kindles that replaced it because they had no physical buttons for page flipping. Then came the Voyage. I’m on the second one because surprisingly the first didn’t survive my brother stepping on it.

Can’t debate the convenience of e-readers, especially when travelling. However I have never gotten into bed and pulled open a book only to have it tell me “out of juice. plug me in.”

2 Likes
3 Likes

My Kindle 4 survived a lot but also failed due to being accidentally stepped on. The mainboard was fine, but it turns out that the screen is made on glass substrate, and it shattered. I’ve ordered replacement screen form China, and the kindle is fully operational again.
Replacing the screen was way harder than I thought - everything (mainboard, battery, buttons, display) inside the device was glued with film adhesive. The old, broken screen actually didn’t came off until I heated it to about 350 deg. C on hot air soldering station. It’s as if the designers didn’t want anyone to repair it.

3 Likes