Ian McDonald returns to the harshest mistress in Luna: Wolf Moon

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/28/booksreviewsgift-guidescien.html

I had my mind blown repeatedly by 2015’s bumper crop of science fiction, but one novel stands out even so: Luna: New Moon, Ian McDonald’s hybrid of Heinlein’s “The Moon is a Harsh Mistress” and “The Godfather,” an unlikely and spectacular success of a novel that left me drooling at the thought of a 2017 sequel, which drops today: Luna: Wolf Moon.

2 Likes

Fantastic! I loved this book, real balance of weight and thriller elements to it. I had seen the publication date moved to later in the year (it was March at some stage) so I’m delighted with this and looking forward to my copy arriving.

I heard about it here first. and went back to buy and read more of his work so thanks.

The title the post misstates the title of book. It’s Luna:Wolf Moon.

I have been terribly addicted to McDonald’s Planesrunner series—I’ve been passing the three installments around my family for years. I hope the Luna series will be a welcome interregnum while I await the fourth Planesrunner book.

So Wolf Moon will be a trilogy?

7 Likes

I had this pre-ordered. Loved the first one.

4 Likes

I tried asking him on twitter if there were ever going to be more but didn’t get an answer.

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to get around to the first one. Cory’s review has bumped it to the top of my rec reading queue.

The first one is a classic. Simultaneously an homage to The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and taking apart it’s assumptions about right-libertarian paradises.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.