ICE arrested 250 foreign-born people for the most heinous of crimes: pursuing higher education

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/27/ice-arrested-250-foreign-born.html

4 Likes

kudos to ice for making the building large enough.

7 Likes

Basically, Trump University as an ICE Ponzi scheme?

13 Likes

Just to add: Some accreditation place collaborated so if any potential student was trying to find out if the school was legit as they should, it would show as accredited legit.

19 Likes

stop brutalizing Ice they are just simple farmers … who harvest Immigrants.

3 Likes

As seen in the documentary Soylent Green

5 Likes

Aw, man. I grew up in that town. What a horror show. The suburb I lived in, and the public school I went to, were models of white middle class elitism. (The only black student was the son of a TV newscaster, so he was viewed as okay via celebrity.) We were so prejudiced that even Catholics were viewed as a weird sub-group. (Jewish people were marginally okay because they tended to be wealthy.)

7 Likes

This, while actual public colleges (like the one I teach at) are suffering draconian class cuts for budgetary reasons.

12 Likes

You realize they did this so they could catch anyone smart enough to think they could learn, so that they could stop another educated immigrant becoming naturalized and screwing up their narrative, or even worse perhaps- becoming a Democratic senator

4 Likes

Not defending ICE, but those students just wanted to extend their visas using a legal option, they could keep living and working in the US if they were enrolled in a education institution, but wouldn’t be able without it.
It still sucks for them, since they were just following the set rules and were jumping though all the hoops to avoid breaking the law.
As @TacoChucks mentioned, for them, and every person not involved in the ICE operation, the university looked as good as any other because of the accreditation.

1 Like

Were there actually any classes? As stupid as this whole scheme is, I was under the impression that everyone involved believed they were in a “pay for visa status” scheme, and not actually enrolled in school.

3 Likes

I’m not sure.
I’ve read about it some months ago, and IIRC the students were detained before the classes started (it was after they found that it was a scam). [edited]
As I understood, they were exploiting the rule, but it seemed like donating blood to get a day off work, it is not done for altruist reasons, but the rule was supposed to already take that in account.

ETA:
This is the article I’ve read (it’s from February):

“I was told by the students, that the university reassured them that classes would be held and everything would be fine and that they are following the immigration laws,” said Prashanthi Reddy, an attorney in New York City. “The students paid them the tuition fees and were trapped once they realized that classes were not being held, as some didn’t have the money to transfer and pay tuition at another university.”

1 Like

God, I hope you’re joking. This is the internet. There’s no way to tell.

2 Likes

This is 100% entrapment. The US immigration courts are corrupt for playing along.

10 Likes

But this is like people that are getting a degree in courses deemed easy to make their parents happy and don’t become unemployed.
And sometimes girls taking the educational science degrees got a decent work like teaching first graders to read :slight_smile: like a friend of mine…

1 Like

The wayback machine has the “university”'s web page:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180414235355/http://universityoffarmington.edu/

Our instructors have decades of combined expertise in their respective fields and are willing to assist students when possible and feasable.

Spelling errors and statement that “we have almost no experience” made bold

2 Likes

I could not come with good examples of breaking a rule’s intent but not the rule letter.
Your examples are better than mine, and I think they capture better the idea that it might actually be the rule intent.

Jeezus, I didn’t recall that movie being so brutal or a Trumpian wet dream.

1 Like

That aspect of teaching made my income so tenuous that I had to switch careers after putting in ten years.

1 Like

according to npr, ice even arrested students who - after realizing the promises of in person classes weren’t going to happen - transferred to a different school. the logic i guess was that their initial visa was bogus ( because it was issued by the fake university ) so that was enough.

there’s nothing positive in this and no good way to spin it. ice did everything to make it look legit, even had the university appear as accredited on federal websites, and then arrested students for falling for the scam.

people at dhs should be going to jail over this, not the students

7 Likes