Iconic San Francisco brewery closes: Anchor Brewing is no more

Its good there are so many styles, that way everyone’s taste can be catered to.

I wasn’t a huge steam fan myself, but it was plenty drinkable when cold.

3 Likes

To the best of my understanding, Anchor Distilling (now apparently “Hotaling and Co.”) is a separate company and not affected. I believe that Fritz sold Anchor Brewing to focus on spirits and wine.

3 Likes

This.

Big companies always blame consumers and workers when they shutter a small brand that they acquire. It’s never that they chased away the employees who cared about the product, that they screwed over suppliers in favor of cheaper suppliers, or that they cut corners that affected quality.

That isn’t going to change until antitrust laws are enforced again and the SEC does their job to block anticompetitive mergers in the first place.

9 Likes

This is a major bummer to me as someone that was born and raised in the Bay Area.
Anchor Steam was the first good beer I ever had. If you get a pour from a fresh keg, it’s amazing, IMO.
Whenever I visited back home, I always got a pint somewhere as it’s pretty much on tap at any bar/restaurant. Especially in the city.
Very much loved their Xmas beer as well. In fact, I still have two bottles from the last batch in my fridge - unlike most beer that should be consumed as fresh as possible, this one can improve with some time in the bottle.
I’m hearing rumors that someone might buy it, but we shall see.

3 Likes

That’s funny! I wasn’t aware of this one.

5 Likes

But what will I use to pour one out for Anchor Steam?!

Rip Pour One Out GIF
I moved to SF in the 80s; Anchor was my main beer for many years and still is when I visit. I’ll miss it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.