Idea for celebrating MLK day

Know who could use a little love for Martin Luther King Jr. day? The folks at the Jesse Helms Center. After all, they’re probably stuck at work when most Americans have the day off considering that Mr. Helms led the congressional opposition to the holiday, calling the assassinated civil rights leader a “law breaker who was manipulated by communists.”

I humbly suggest that we all post our favorite thoughts on Dr. King’s legacy by posting them on the Jesse Helms Center’s facebook wall.

4 Likes

Day off? That’d be nice.

3 Likes

Turns out my kid’s school is closed. Which we discovered in the parking lot.

4 Likes

Schoolboy error.

How long has he worked that con?

2 Likes

Parental error. Neither of us checked the school calendar; it’s a private school, but apparently still linked to the public school schedule. I had assumed somebody would have mentioned it on Friday when I was in the room (it’s pre-K). They send home what seems like several fliers a day, so I thought I’d see one; and since I didn’t see one … and didn’t expend any more effort…

[hangs head]

I posted this on the Jesse Helms Center’s facebook page but it looks like they took it down for some reason. I guess that means they are indeed open today! Maybe this would be a good opportunity for people in the Charlotte area to visit the museum and commemorate the late senator’s role in the civil rights movement.

8 Likes

This is most excellent. I approve this message!

Don’t forget the sitting congress critters who voted against the holiday:
So, let’s take a look at the politicians who are still in office and who voted against honoring Dr. King through a federal holiday.

1. Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA)

2. Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT)

3. Sen. John McCain (R-AZ). He was a congressman at the time.

4. Sen. Richard Shelby (R-AL). He was a congressman and a Democrat at the time.

5. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI)

6. Rep. Hal Rogers (R-KY)

And the following men voted against the holiday on a state level.

1. Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-GA)

2. Rep. John Culberson (R-TX)

3. Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA)

9 Sitting members of Congress who voted against Martin Luther King Jr. Day

4 Likes

Ah, the ‘If you never admit it, you never really lost’ school of thought.

1 Like

Are you telling me they’re all men? And white? And Republicans?

I’m sensing a pattern here.

Edit: oops, I missed that Shelby was a Democrat at the time. Although apparently No True Democrat.

1 Like

Old school democrat.

Dixiecrat?

2 Likes

I prefer a Dixie Cravat

This topic was automatically closed after 760 days. New replies are no longer allowed.