It's Martin Luther King, Jr. day in the United States

Originally published at: It's Martin Luther King, Jr. day in the United States | Boing Boing

12 Likes

Something like this…

11 Likes

JP Morgan Chase & co would like to remind you of their commitment to honoring Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy!

Stuff like this is SOOO problematic - Reverend King would not consider the world’s largest financial organization an ally in the fight for a just and equitable society, but at the same time the King Center is a fantastic resource for those fighting the real battles… I personally feel that it’s necessary to applaud the good acts of bad actors, but it does leave a sour aftertaste.

4 Likes

And how did you choose to honor Doctor King’s legacy yesterday, aside from not making your own post and trying to co-opt this one?

Just curious…

4 Likes

12 Likes

Edit;

Wrong thread.

My bad.

3 Likes

On the actual topic at hand:

“I may not get there with you. But, I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land…”

7 Likes

I heard this last night…

Very well done and a timely reminder that white people did not love King, especially when he embraced the anti-war movement and started the poor people’s campaign, and being critical and the racial and class power structure in america.

7 Likes

Good share.

Many bigoted White people didn’t “love” MLK Jr… until he’d been long since assassinated, and they could start trying to appropriate his legacy to suit their own twisted agenda.

7 Likes

African American Reaction GIF

5 Likes

Also merely being in a “blended” family or community in no way negates one’s White privilege, nor does such happenstance automatically mean that someone is “anti-racist.”

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.