Identify your dog's breed

[Read the post]

3 Likes

A friend of mine has German Shorthaired Pointers. At agility matches her dogs have been occasionally mistaken for liver Dalmatians. I’d be curious to see if the app makes the same mistake. I guess it depends on whether the tail is pictured.

2 Likes

My Cavalier King Charles Spaniel was accurately matched.

Apparently I’m a Border Collie, my girlfriend is a Poodle, and my cat will be grumpy to find out that she’s a Shetland Sheepdog.

9 Likes

Well, my new German Shepherd dog is either a Shipperke:

Or a Welsh Pembroke Corgi:

To be fair, Ivory is a bit inbred and has short legs.

6 Likes

I will have to try this on my nephew, his grandfather was having no luck getting the computer to think he had a human face.

Worked on almost all of my basset hound pics. All but this one.

3 Likes

American Crumbhound

no papers, she’s housebroken.

2 Likes

20 Likes

The problem is, it wants to label dogs all dogs as one of the particular outcomes of various different dog eugenics experiments that mostly started in the 19th century (outside of a few working dogs). I don’t think it’s healthy to think of a dog that comes from a nice diversified gene pool as merely a ratio of different inbreds (not that this app is capable of such speculation). That emphasizes and promotes the notion that the natural way to think about these animals is in terms of their entirely human-created inbred form rather than how they’d turn out if we didn’t interfere, especially since all that interference has led to shorter lifespans and a host of medical problems. We should think of dogs in terms of what will make them healthier, happier, and longer-lived.

In my dream world, apps like this wouldn’t say, “I’m sorry, we can’t identify this breed,” but rather, “Congratulations! This dog doesn’t appear to be too inbred!”

I think it’s really unfortunate that my lovable still has to suffer from patella luxation because somewhere down the line someone thought forcing particular pairs into mating would result in something “cute,” with little regard for the quality of life of the resulting offspring.

We did the same thing with chickens and turkeys and lots of people think that it’s “wrong” we did so, resulting in something unnatural akin to Frankenstein’s Monster. We’d never dare do it with humans. Yet, with dogs, it’s a source of pride for some people. And even people who don’t have such dogs are still forced to talk about their dogs and combinations of such experiments.

3 Likes

Close but not quite, our Tibetan Terrier is apparently a bearded collie. It’s mostly a problem of scale, which the method of analysing pictures doesn’t handle well, and the tail.

Crossbreeding is getting very popular round here, enough cockapoos, cavapoos, labradoodles and the like to give the Kennel Club conniptions.

2 Likes

Tried a bunch of whippet photos. No correct answers. But apparently I’m a German Shepherd.

My whippet was identified as, in order of attempt (from harder to easier, as per my guess of how the machine thinks), as Great Pyrenees, no dog found, and Italian Greyhound. Close enough, I guess.

I don’t disagree, first thing.

They’re all yellow, relatively pointy nosed and between 40 and 50 pounds. And they don’t look like they live very long lives at all. But that’s modern results.

I guess without human intervention they are all wolves. We could all have wolves, I guess. Admirable as they are though, wolves aren’t dogs.

2 Likes

Apparently I’m a rottweiler, and this picture of Stalin I happened to have on my hard drive is a chihuahua:

8 Likes

I see a pattern - every cat image I uploaded was “no dog found”, but humans are often recognized. Man’s best fried, ha!

1 Like

Have you tried giving it a sloth face? This is a pomeranian:

7 Likes

no fair, my nice pet theory about the descent of men!

It identified this little hellion as a "Staffordshire Bull Terrier"

Desmosedici
aka Des or Desmo (longer the name, the more trouble she’s in - and she knows it), who is a rescue and the guessed result of a whippet mix + pitt mix. Who knows…
She was a special case rescue as she and her littermates had been abused & of a large litter she was one of only four that survived. The rescue service I got her from was concerned that she couldn’t be socialized and wouldn’t be adoptable.
She still has socialization issues, to be sure, but she’s come a long way - just takes kindness and lots n lots of patience.

…and it identified this screwball as a “Miniature Schnauzer” lol

Deesel

Whom is also a rescue, Sheppard + Rottweiler, he basically looks like a Sheppard (mix) with the paint job of a rottweiler (mix) though he’s lost a lot of his colour with age - he just turned lucky 13 in December :slight_smile: When I first became “differently-abled”? I up-trained him to do what I couldn’t anymore and he got his service animal cert, so he doesn’t count as a dog anymore as far as housing n whatnot goes. Which helps a LOT when you rent.

(edit: formatting correction)

3 Likes

Your Pittie mix and one of ours could about be siblings.

1 Like