Idiot-proofing low clearances with water curtain stop signs

These signs are at a tunnel that goes under Sydney Harbour. I don’t think access to an ample water supply is a major challenge.

It’s also a 3 or 4 year old video, so presumably it’d be easy enough to judge the effectiveness of the virtual signs. I was able to find several articles since 2013 that mention the the tunnels being closed in one direction or the other due to oversized vehicles, but none of them made mention of the virtual stop sign.

3 Likes

Due to the tendency of drivers to tailgate what are the chances of the truck driver actually seeing the water stop sign in time to stop?

Hey wait a minute - so it’s spraying saltwater over the cars?
Is it sponsored by the local car dealerships?

4 Likes

No, the point is that cars are supposed to stop before they get to the water curtain.

2 Likes

Sounds like my past life in QA.

3 Likes

Well the vehicles in the video were being sprayed enough by back-splash that they turned on windscreen wipers.

Though actually, the specific user-case for this makes it fine. If anyone’s making that same mistake and getting the seawater-stop-sign-o-doom regularly enough for that to make a difference, well, they have other problems to contend with first.

(Third thought: what about the legitimately sized vehicles driving past from the other direction?)

There’s something strangely compelling about that which makes me want to drive through it.

1 Like

I should confess, it ain’t my joke, I stole it somewhere myself.
I just pulled it out of \My Documents\jokes.txt, but I don’t remember when I pasted it in there. It’s a good one though, with plenty of potential for expansion, further riffing, etc.

1 Like

More of a “second mouse gets the cheese” thing, where an infinite number of idiots are eventually going to overwhelm anything trying to kill them.

1 Like

Surely it’s simpler to just hang a sign on chains at just the height in question about 50m in front of the bridge so that anyone driving a vehicle that is too high will be rudely awakened.

Edit here is an example of the kind of thing I’m talking about: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/montague-street-bridge-warning-gantry-installed-after-it-was-hit-more-than-100-times/news-story/0645bf542c8c2805e83048b628e84b0c

1 Like

2 Likes

Sounds like common sense; I know it wouldn’t work w/ the US Govt. (who would profit?)

Hmm. I suppose you have a point.

That’s a “last chance” warning. By this point the driver has already ignored multiple signs, both of the general kind (“maximum height x.xx m”) and very explicit ones (flashing red lights, “stop now” etc.). The idea is that it will be easier to drag the truck out of there backwards if it’s not stuck to the roof of the tunnel.

4 Likes

I hope their best warning is the first one.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.