11-foot-8 updates!

Hey can-opener bridge lovers, it turns out that the post that @markfrauenfelder posted in May was just one of a treasure-trove of 11-foot-8-plus-8 goodness that got dumped on the channel in the last couple months.

My mind is blown by crash #161, embedded below for your consumption:

This is the first time in my memory that the warning lights really did fail to go off! I’m presuming that this is because the laser height sensor is narrow enough to have missed detecting the hinge on the crane, which apparently was the only part of the vehicle that was overheight. Nevertheless, the driver should have known the height of their vehicle and detoured based on the signage alone – especially given that this driver is presumably not your standard box-truck-renter.

Anyway, head over to the 11-foot-8 YouTube channel for a trove of about half a dozen videos posted between Mark’s most recent two updates. So far, this one takes the cake in terms of interest and drama.

8 Likes

Whoa, looking more closely, it looks like all the crashes in March and April (a number of which all took place on April 9th) have in common that the height sensor failed to go off. But on the one from May 11th that Mark shared, it was working.

I guess that sign really does do some good.

SCIENCE!

5 Likes

giphy (5)

5 Likes
7 Likes

This one is downright sedate compared to some of the other recent ones. It’s a refreshing summer twist.

3 Likes
5 Likes

That’s an elegant one. No running the red light, just charging forward at green with complete confidence in their ability to make it under the bridge. And at a relatively low speed they almost make it all the way through, as though they just kept pressing the accelerator in denial that there was any issue. The finishing touch is the unflinching reversal-of-shame as they extricate themselves from their predicament. Beautiful.

4 Likes

5 Likes

How about a version of this that says “roof” instead…

Celebration GIF by GIPHY News

4 Likes

4 Likes

The good old Beep of Shame. It never gets old!

They could raise it to the requisite 14’ and trucks would expand yet again and keep hitting it.

1 Like

An absolutely hilarious 11foot8 mashup… in spite of the irrelevant thumbnail.

1 Like

Someone 3D-scanned the bridge and its environs:

3 Likes

If this video is accurate, it sounds like they never adjusted the ahem laser height sensor to the new clearance – the minimum clearance to trigger the signal appears to be 11’ 8".

3 Likes

That’s probably a good thing, no? Better safe than sorry, as it were.

5 Likes

Better than the reverse, that’s for sure! That said, if there are cavalier folks who trigger the height sensor and still make clearance, the next time they come by in a slightly taller truck they might be in for the big regret.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.