If Aubrey de Grey is right, you could live forever

Refrigerators slow entropy, they don’t reverse it. If you put a wilted carrot in the “crisper” drawer it doesn’t magically become garden fresh again.

4 Likes

Why do all these guys have 7 things to do?

I mean 7 steps to wisdom
7 things to do to be healthy
7 what ever.
7 Things to improve your sleep
7 things to lose weight
7 things achieve immortality.

Is there some empirical thing about 7 that you have to have 7 of them
It’s just a big red flag for me.

Or is it, as I suspect, they’re not actually going for facts for things but for emotional jazz with the lucky number 7.

1 Like

Ray Kurzweil promised us the singularity would happen next year or so and we could download our brains into nice shiny metal bodies and live forever.
When? Real Soon.
https://www.amazon.com/Singularity-Near-Humans-Transcend-Biology/dp/0670033847/ref=mt_hardcover?_encoding=UTF8&me=

2 Likes

Seven minute abs!

1 Like

Watching the original Westworld from 1973 is quite amusing.

1 Like

They might create something me adjacent; but it wouldn’t be me. Metal bodies don’t seem desirable either.

3 Likes

He’s right- let’s knock it off with all the cancer research and just cure cancer already, sheesh!

1 Like

Yeah, occasionally I see some researchers who work in the relevant fields interviewed about de Gray and his claims, and let’s just say there’s a whoooole lot of eye-rolling.

4 Likes

Since computers and brains doesn’t work at all the same way, I’m really sceptical about that kind of claims.

1 Like

Obligatory?

1 Like

#2 or #3. I thought #3 was more around cancer - dodgy cells refusing to die and growing and killing good cells

He’s missed #8: catastrophic physical trauma. Even if you don’t age, the longer you live, the closer your cumulative chance of a fatal injury approaches unity. You’re not going to live for ever, regardless.

2 Likes

I have to challenge that sensationalist claim. If the number of human beings who have ever lived is 100 billion (according to some estimates), and the present population is 7 billion, then the death rate is clearly 93%. More fake news from the liberal press!

7 Likes

I think @AnthonyC is more referring to the straight thermodynamics of having a cold box in a warm room.

3 Likes

He’s more “mad” than scientist, though. He’s basically known for talking and writing books about aging and transhumanism, not actually doing any science. There are serious researchers in gerontology but they are busy in their labs rather than preparing for TED talks.

3 Likes

#9 is the heat death of the universe.

3 Likes

I can not believe, you let the sun advertise on this site,

4 Likes

He’s already got the beard.

2 Likes

It does at my house. Sometimes it even transmutes into a different vegetable. Just last week I noted that a previously observed wilted carrot had morphed into a fresh cucumber. It’s f*cking magic if you ask me. Strangely, my wife isn’t phased by this … and she’s the one who does the shopping.

6 Likes

(Originally posted as reply to wrong thing…)

I’m of the rather fruitloopy opinion that this isn’t so much a technological problem to be solved as an inevitable metaphysical outcome that might express itself via technological means. Not the nicest sentence there, I know.

Anyway, to explain: it’s a kind of quantum immortality. I think that all possible things exist (and that that is, in fact, a tautology); this means that all possible continuations of your consciousness are realised in all possible ways. When instances of you die, those environments cease to be part of your possible continuations. Your conscious experience will just go down some of the other possible paths, and there will always be possible paths. Some of them may lead down freaky realities, and eventually there may be weird attractors that consciousnesses get pulled into.

1 Like