Boy, 11, earns quantum physics degree in 18 months, wants to make people immortal

Originally published at: Boy, 11, earns quantum physics degree in 18 months, wants to make people immortal | Boing Boing

4 Likes

No matter how smart one may be, 11 is still far too young to be able to realize what a horrific idea ‘immortality’ actually is.

45 Likes

I wondered if there was family tragedy that prompted this.

And, he’s young. Once he’s a bit older, he hopefully won’t be saying this like this again.

The UK is the foundation of modern civilisation.

14 Likes

Book smarts, even to the point of genius, is no replacement for experience obtained through growth and development.

The woman doesn’t want people to give her advice for her special kid?

Too bad; she’s gonna get it anyway… and mine is that he needs to travel extensively, and be exposed to the rest of the world and the different people in it.

25 Likes

Clearly a history minor would have been a good idea. And they say the humanities aren’t good for anything

22 Likes

Immortality. If not self-destruction of societies, extinction-level meteors, or our Sun going red giant, then universe heat death or proton decay will have the last say. Physics.

10 Likes

Only self important know-it-all assholes believe that, in my experience.

Far more possible than I care to contemplate at the moment.

While eventual, still much less probable than human self destruction at this point.

Doomsday shit aside, death is a natural part of life - wanting to subvert that aspect never ends well.

Frankenstein was less a horror novel than a cautionary tale about man’s hubris.

16 Likes

Then again a huge portion of most major religions is based on the pursuit of eternal life in some form or another so it’s not like most adults have really thought it through either.

An eternity spent anywhere sounds like hell to me.

20 Likes

That does seem to be part of his plans.

9 Likes

Stay sane, kid! He’s in for an interesting life, and hopefully a long(ish) one.

14 Likes

Many focus on “everlasting life,” after having shed one’s mortal coil and all its’ limitations. ‘Living forever’ in corporeal form is exponentially problematic.

I concur.

8 Likes

Even ones that involve lots and lots of chocolate? :grimacing:

9 Likes

An eternity amongst the Swiss?

11 Likes

denial

11 Likes

Why didn’t he get a degree in biology or medicine? Physics seems a mistake for his stated goals.

5 Likes

Well, in order to live forever, eventually you have to violate the first law of thermodynamics, so it makes sense if you are working at it from the other end of the problem.

10 Likes

Are you not even a bit curious as to what the heat death of the universe looks like?

2 Likes

Or donuts?

Homer Simpson Eating GIF

7 Likes

This boy proves the future is now and isn’t now… at the same time…

2 Likes

Oh super, another physicist who wants to tell biologists how biology works.

11 Likes